sand dunes

Started by John2k6, February 04, 2007, 04:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saurav

That render was done by me. I used World Machine (dune macro') to create the basic terrain shape and added the wind ripples via a mixture of an image map shader and TG2 own erosion settings. Hope that helps.

John2k6

trailgirl

I wonder if it would be possible to make sand dunes by placing a Lake with some large waves, no reflections, with a shader that would give it a sandy color. After all, dunes are created by winds and waves in lakes are created by winds -- just a thought!

BPauba

Quote from: trailgirl on February 05, 2007, 05:36:29 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to make sand dunes by placing a Lake with some large waves, no reflections, with a shader that would give it a sandy color. After all, dunes are created by winds and waves in lakes are created by winds -- just a thought!
Try it out :D. I am sure with experimentation it could happen!

Will

neat idea, try it and tell us if it works.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Sengin

Quote from: trailgirl on February 05, 2007, 05:36:29 PM

I was wondering about a way to create dunes, and I came up with this: why have a power fractal generate the terrain?  Can I use a water shade to generate terrain that will have properties of water?  After testing, you can, in fact, use a water shader to generate terrain.  It's pretty sweet.  Here's an early, early render of just the sand dunes I am working on, along with a picture of the nodes.

Will

those came out well, glad it works :)

Regards,

Will

John2k6

how do you export a terrain from world machine into terragen2?

Will

just use the old terragen format

regards,
Will

John2k6

it only lets me save it as - tmd :(

Will

are you going from world mechine to TGTP or the other way around?

Regards,
Will

John2k6

Will

save it as terragen file and then you can import it in TGTP I think into a heightfield but im not totaly sure all go check.

EDIT: yea it goes into the HEIGHTFEILD LOAD. or at least thats what worked for me, try it and tell me if it worked.

Regards,

Will

John2k6

they won't let me save it as a terragen file :) only as a .tmd :)