Massive use of vegetation

Started by Lucio, February 04, 2007, 05:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucio

Here's a render from a wip, an environment I'm working on with massive use of vegetation. Many models have been realized on my own, especially grass clumps textured from real grass photographs, and some other plants and shrubs taken from xfrog public plants - all simple and relatively small models, to keep them manageable with my RAM. I'm trying to render the idea of randomly distributed vegetation as you can see in real nature, and to do so it's necessary planning the scene with great accuracy. I'm studying many photographs of a real environment and trying to take inspiration from it. My target is to import into the finished environment a 3d model of a ruin I'm working on actually, then utilize TGD as an architectural renderer :)

It's amazing to see how TGD can handle enormous numbers of models in a single scene. In this provisory setting there are eleven populations for near a million instances, and I'm going to add other vegetation zones

This image is a cropped and downsampled portion of a 2000x1500 render I've done last night, about 17 hrs rendering on my P4 1G RAM - some minor postwork and color correction on it

old_blaggard

Nice job.  I like the point of view you have.  Your vegetation does look pretty realistic in my opinion.  I think you could improve the distribution a little by making the boundaries look more distinct.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Rich

that looks pretty nice, good luck in achieving your idea.

Lucio

I'll continue the work.. thanks for comments!

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

littlecannon

Very impressive... I thought it was a reference pic for a minute!
Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

MooseDog

Quote from: Lucio on February 04, 2007, 05:38:31 PM
My target is to import into the finished environment a 3d model of a ruin I'm working on actually, then utilize TGD as an architectural renderer :)

It's amazing to see how TGD can handle enormous numbers of models in a single scene. In this provisory setting there are eleven populations for near a million instances, and I'm going to add other vegetation zones

This image is a cropped and downsampled portion of a 2000x1500 render I've done last night, about 17 hrs rendering on my P4 1G RAM - some minor postwork and color correction on it

yeah, absolutely insane poly-counts is definetly a strength here. wtg matt!  17hrs is not :(

pay attention to the saturation of your colors.  a tad too harsh atm.  will be very interesting to see how the integration of arch. models goes.  thx for sharing!

Lucio

Quote from: MooseDog on February 10, 2007, 09:12:58 AMyeah, absolutely insane poly-counts is definetly a strength here. wtg matt!  17hrs is not :(

pay attention to the saturation of your colors.  a tad too harsh atm.  will be very interesting to see how the integration of arch. models goes.  thx for sharing!

You're right, I wanted to over-saturate the overall looking of the pic, I liked it as an effect, but maybe is too much. I'm working on the 3d model, I'll do some attempt this week. If the results looks good I'll update the thread maybe :)

Regards,

Lucio

crazymonkey

Oshyan

I agree that things are a bit oversaturated, but overall vegetation placement and realistic complexity of the scene is excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Hey Lucio,

Already had some time to improve this concept and to render an example?
I'm quite curious, as you may have noticed now :)

Martin

Lucio

Updating the thread.. :)

Here's a first model of the ruin I'm working on. I've posted something similar months ago (Oshyan maybe you remember that). I've integrated some custom-built vegetation, and I'm going to add more. I'm also thinking about a way to solve that displacement issue that tends to "explode" the edges of my building. However, the internal displacement shader is truly fantastic

Will

nice, the hole is a good touch :0

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Oshyan

That is already looking very nice Lucio. Good work!

- Oshyan

old_blaggard

Nice job!  This is looking great.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.