newbie question

Started by ndel, August 14, 2009, 10:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ndel

I am new in terragen, and did sofar just only a couple of testrenderings. Here and there i noticed some black spots in the renderings. Looks to me that some displaced triangles are shaded black.
Due lack of my experience, i dont know the right settings for rendering.
Used different quality and AA but it keeps showing up here and there (and not always at same place)...and its not in every rendering -just a couple times.

Maybe you have some hints to what i should avoid, or looking for to change. :)

In lowres renderings there are also holes (sky shining through) in the landscape, but these are getting miraculously closed at higher settings.

Its a exported .ter file of a preset of the geo control demo, scaled down (with heightfield resize to 1470 m).

Matti

Matt

Hi Matti, welcome.

Recently I've seen this problem happening much more often (or what appears to be the same problem). I'm currently trying to figure out what's causing it so we can include a fix in the next update.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Henry Blewer

I have been able to avoid these lately. What I believe is happening is the faces are being twisted so they overlap ( or something like this) To avoid this I am careful using scale settings. The scale settings are determined using a compute normal. The compute normal setting is set to the smallest scale of the node it inputs to.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

ndel

Hi there,

Some of these black dots are not a problem, cause i am using the background for an illustration and it will be painted out.
But now i m running in other things i cant explain.
Actually i don ´t have a clue of everything i am doing right now, :) just collecting clips (thanks to everybody bytheway ) from the forum and plugging them together to see what happen.
But nearly everything seems issue of scaling and will not work for me as i it expect it.
The terrain should be the background for some humansized characters photographed in realworld camera and measurements.
So i would like to scale down everything from this 10000 to10000 environment to a 100 by 100 m area.
My question: Is there an (easy) way to reset the system or network?
As i  said,  i am really not well with all these function and math stuff (as with language, so apologise my yoda-english)
I am now resetting everything to default to see what kind of displacement makes trouble.
But as you see in the pics below, some things became issues with higher quality and do not show up in lowres.
I keep posting my results.
Thanks for the response.
Matti

ndel

...the sun is shining again
After getting rid of nearly everything.
Some of these polygonexplosions are fake stones, but i cant understand why...there is no displacement expect the fake stone itself.
I having some trouble to get these buddies on the ground. I am using a distribution shader with minus alltitude and on invert... what seems not right for me.
But what should i do? My heightfield is, after scaling, not on the ground, so i pushed down with heightfield adjust.

matti

cyphyr

Remember the fake stones aren't separate from your previous terrain and shaders. They will "inherit" any displacements used by "higher up the tree" shaders. Because the fake stones are small they will accentuate displacement errors they've inherited. Try going back up the tree and turning off displacements until you find the culprit, then you can tune that shader appropriately (ofter a very small scale displacement viewed at too far a distance ... )
Good luck
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Henry Blewer

That explains things to me also. Thanks for the 'inherit' answer!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

ndel

... thanks for the tip with compute normal!!!
Does not change the the black thingie, but i regonise how important it is for everything...
changing in the patchsize changes everything --look,...displacement
wwooah, worked hours in a complete different direction...
back to the beginning, starting new...

Tangled-Universe

Have you tried disabling "blend as stone density" in the fake stones shader? Disabling this often solves the problems with exploding stones.
If this doesn't work I'd follow richard's suggestions further.

Martin