Need help with "Making of "Wilderness"

Started by Viktim, August 18, 2009, 10:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viktim

Hi

Im following the tutorial "Making of "Wilderness" on nwdanet.com but i got a problem. The clouds look very bad, its to noise. I have the same settings as FrankD have on the tutorial but mine looks baaad. My render settings are:

Detail: 0.95
AA: 3
GI relative detail: 2
GI sample quality: 3
GI blur radius: 6

FrankB, thank you for the great tutorial btw

domdib

Have you looked at the quality settings of your atmosphere and clouds? They have their own separate controls.

Incidentally, it was Seth, not Frank, who did this tutorial  :)

Viktim

ohh, thanks to seth then:)

the quality settings on the cloud layer is:

Quality: 0.487028
Number of samples: 40

is it to low?

FrankB

yes it is a bit low, but most definitely you need to increase samples in the atmosphere. You almost alway need to increase these when the sun is in the front and you have a dark cloud between.

Frank

FrankB

Some extra explanation: Between you (the camera) and the cloud, you have atmosphere. The cloud casts shadows onto the atmosphere, creating a bright/dark gradient in the atmosphere itself. Now, with too few samples, Terragen won't be able to smooth these difference in shadow and lightness in your render. Hence you need to increase the samples of the atmosphere.
This explanation of course is just "in my own words", it may not be 100% accurate.

Apart from extreme situations, your *cloud* samples are always sufficient if you set the cloud quality slider to 1. It will automatically calculate the right amount of cloud sample for you.

Frank

aymenk2003

Quote from: domdib on August 18, 2009, 10:51:20 AM
Incidentally, it was Seth, not Frank, who did this tutorial  :)
Yes but Seth is also "Franck Doassans"  ... FranckD !!!
Le peu que je sais, c'est à mon ignorance que je le dois.

Seth

hehehe
Frank is right about the fact that you need to increase your atmo sample. I'll try something like 92 because it is not a clear atmo and you have as already stated the sun almost right in front of you.
You'll get rid of that noisy atmo. try to increase the quality of the clouds too (try 1 as FrankB stated)
You did a good job so far.

FrankB => Frank
Seth => Franck

;D

Viktim

hehe, its not easy to keep all names in mind.

I did a test render with increased samples(92 as you said) and the result was much better, thanks for the help guys:)

here is the different:

Seth

great ! i hope to see some evolution soon :)

Viktim

I have a question about that fake stone shader. The fake stone shader creates stone all over the planet(right?) so im wondering if there is possible to put them on a specific area only

or is Add object->popluation->rock made for that?

Henry Blewer

You can add a distance shader to the blend by shader. Just change the colors/ white to black and black to white. This will make the density hard close to the camera and very dispersed at the distance. If the render camera is not the center you want, right click at the location on the preview where you want the stones. Then add a new camera. Paste thecoordinates on the new cameras translate. (It's the small box thing on the left side of the inputs)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Seth

painting shader used as a mask might be a good idea.

Henry Blewer

A painted shader gives much more control. My way can become very random when power fractal masks are plugged in.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Viktim

yea i tried like you said njeneb but its no difference:S  should i change the colors in the distance shader?

And i dont understand that add new camera part:S

seth, what do you mean with "used as a mask" how do i do that?

aymenk2003

we admit you have already have your fake stone shader, to use a painted shader as a mask do the following:
select your fake stone shader in the left part of TG2 window, check "Blend by shader" checkbox, then click on the nearer button with a little green +,then in the popup menu click on create new shader-> colour shader-> painted shader...
go to the preview window click on the little button with a brush icon near the ruler,-> start painting normally you will find your "painted shader 01". re-click on the same button then "Paint mode" the preview window will the change to a darker here you can start painting... when finished re -click on the same button then "Stop painting painted shader 01"
if the circle of the brush you paint with is to large the select your painted shader in the network node double click on it then change the brush size... that's all
Le peu que je sais, c'est à mon ignorance que je le dois.