Dust and Fake Stones (2nd render page 3)

Started by Seth, August 26, 2009, 11:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

This reminds me of some paintings by Ray Harris-Ching. He could make paradise out of dirt with some paint and brushes. He's my all-time favourite painter, so there's another compliment in the row.

---Dune

CCC

Here are some close-up photographs i had taken that perhaps might inspire additional ideas.

Henry Blewer

These reference photos are reassuring. I normally think I am being too monochromatic. ;)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Seth

thanks for the pictures. i can be very very close of the first one (just need to disable a surface layer) ^^

CCC

Both are some type of sandstone. One hard and one sandy sediment. These are probably three feet above the surface from the point of view.

cyphyr

Quote from: Seth on August 26, 2009, 02:54:16 PM
here is the "no soft shadow and no water" version.
Ugly shadows... I really don't like it but I post it for you cyphyr.
I hope it is more informative...

Thankyou :)
Of course your right it is better in the first version. It would be great if we had more control over shadows, the ability to mix differant kinds for example. Upping the GI Rel Detail would help but then you would be into days of render time lol
Great work.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Seth

did you ever try to put 2 suns at the same place but decreasing their strentgh ? one with soft shadows the other one without it ?
it might give interesting results ;)

choronr

Quote from: Seth on August 27, 2009, 02:56:07 PM
did you ever try to put 2 suns at the same place but decreasing their strentgh ? one with soft shadows the other one without it ?
it might give interesting results ;)
Very interesting and coincidental, I am doing this on an image I'm now working on; and, you're right, the results are interesting and satisfying. 

Seth

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

choronr

Quote from: Seth on August 27, 2009, 03:34:11 PM
yup yup ^^
BTW, are you planning a 'preset pack' through Frank any time soon?

Falcon

This is absolutely fantastic.

Have you thought about using these renders with a top-down view to generate terrain/ground textures? Think about the possibilities, the ability to turn a TG2 scene into a realtime scenery because you can use the same texturing.

Seth

same tgd, different place.
Last with this file as this state.  :)
it is not a final version of this though, but I want to do something new for some time.

@Falcon : sorry, i don't understand what you mean...

schmeerlap

Quote from: Falcon on August 30, 2009, 03:30:45 AM
Have you thought about using these renders with a top-down view to generate terrain/ground textures?
Quote from: Seth on August 30, 2009, 05:31:45 AM

My best understanding of what Falcon is saying is that they be rendered from a pov looking straight down, or even orthographically, and then the resulting renders used as Plan Y projected image map textures,

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

FrankB

Quote from: Seth on August 30, 2009, 05:31:45 AM
same tgd, different place.
Last with this file as this state.  :)
it is not a final version of this though, but I want to do something new for some time.

Franck: awesome render

schmeerlap: great signature :)