Groboto objects

Started by Mohawk20, August 27, 2009, 02:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

I've been trying out GroBoto, software that creates fractal-like structures you can tweak and export.
I've made a nice structure that looked like a tower to me. The obj file is more than 1Gb, but that means great detail in curves.
Below some renders.
Howgh!

Henry Blewer

Cool stuff. I will try it!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Seth

FrankB

Amazing, the first render is simply beautiful!

Zairyn Arsyn

looks strange!!! :) i like it.

1gb! damn. :o
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

goldfarb

1 GB?
hmm...there really isn't much going on in that geometry to justify that file size...
you might try bringing it into a 3D app and cut it down a bit....

cool shape though.
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

Mohawk20

Quote from: goldfarb on August 27, 2009, 05:30:06 PM
1 GB?
hmm...there really isn't much going on in that geometry to justify that file size...
you might try bringing it into a 3D app and cut it down a bit....

cool shape though.

Well, actually, the structure is made out of a LOT of single objects the shape of a droplet, ranging in size from small at the top to large at the bottom. The basic object is high quality, and has a lot of faces because of it's curved shape. Multiply that by a LOT, and you get 1Gb.
I also made another object from the same basic algorithm, but with less curves in the shape. I made that out of cube objects and that one is only 13Mb at high quality. So the shape of the base object can make a great difference!

And thanks for all the kind comments!
I'm currently doing a render of this structure in total darkness with a light on top. Very gloomy...
Howgh!

Oshyan

1GB. :o Well I guess that answers my question about whether TG2 can handle large models. ;D

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

Yep!
Wonder what happens if you populate a planet with these... But with only 6 Gb RAM, I don't know if my pc can handle that.
Howgh!

Rhalph

Nice! How long was the render time?

Mohawk20

Not more than an hour at 1280x1024.

The latest (see below) took a bit longer, around 3 hours, because I set the atmo samples to 128, though still not high enough.
I'm pleased with how the render turned out.
Howgh!

domdib

Intriguing - I'd love to see what this looks like with a nice shiny reflective layer  :)

Mohawk20

Quote from: domdib on August 28, 2009, 04:47:19 AM
Intriguing - I'd love to see what this looks like with a nice shiny reflective layer  :)
Actually, I already set the specular level of the default shader to 1. It doesn't show as well as a real reflective shader, but you might recognize some shininess in the other 2 renders if you look closely.
Howgh!

domdib

I can see it in the second render - what I meant was a reflectivity/colour high enough to make it look like metal.

Volker Harun

Very interesting object ... It made me purchase GroBoto ;) (You get $30 off when registering during the download of the trial)

And I really like your render setup ... simple and nice ... inspires me!