a bug? and a question...

Started by dave, February 08, 2007, 05:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave

Hi, I'm new on the forum, and first let me say that terragen 2 is the greatest thing that happen to me this new year (so far.. ;)).

Now I find that often when I'm in the node editor and I move some nods around then suddenly I can't see them in tree view, or, sometimes, I can't see any nods at all in the tree view - it becomes empty. I've only noticed it in the terrain tab. Whether it's a bug or something else - I don't know. I can't replicate it - there is no set of steps that I do and it happens - but it does happen quite often.

Another thing I would like to ask the experienced members of the forum: is there a way in the node editor to select more then one node at a time? for example - if you want to move them around - reposition them?  like drawing a marqee around them or some such?

Thanks for any help

Will

Welcome! For your first problum I would say its a bug or a hardware compatablity issue, does clicking the node-network tab in the top to get the network back? As for your question just hold down ctrl wen you click.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

old_blaggard

Hi dave, and welcome to the forums.  Let's see if your problem is a known bug.  Do you usually delete the heightfield shader that is created along with the default project?  If you do, try opening up a new project, add a New Terrain -> Power Fractal from the terrain menu, and then delete the shader heightfield shader.  Now open up a new project, delete the heightfield shader first, and add a New Terrain -> Power Fractal.  When you do this, I'm guessing the power fractal won't show up on your terrain menu, and it might not even be easily found in the node network.  If this is similar to what happens to you, then maybe we've found your problem :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dave

Thank you will, old_blaggard for your answers.
old_blaggard, you certainly are a prophet. This is the exact problem I was having. Are there any solution?
Also, is there any planes to implement marqee selections in the node editior?
Lastly, tg2 renderer? I read something about a subd renderer, ehich I guess means he output object in subd mode, but is it a raytracer? scanline?

thanks again

Will

hes an alpha tester for macs, not quite divine but almost.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Oshyan

The node lists are going to have a hard time keeping up with anything but basic changes in the node network. This will be particularly true if you have nodes that don't connect to other nodes. Deleting nodes also tends to cause potential confusion. These issues will be cleared up as much as possible, but inevitably the simple list representation of nodes will never be able to fully represent the node network and there may continue to be times where the node list is simply wrong in relation to how the node network connections actually are. For example what if you connect the output of one shader to the input of 2 other ones - how should this show up in the node list? Or how about connecting a node in the Shader group to the input of a node inside an Object node - its shader input for example; should it display the input node twice, once in the Shaders group and once in Objects? Problems like these are a large part of why the node network exists - it's really the only way of full representing the possible connections.

You can select multiple nodes by holding Shift and clicking each one. A selection box and/or other multi-selection capabilities will be implemented in the future.

- Oshyan