details in cloud shadow question...

Started by ndeewolfwood, September 01, 2009, 07:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ndeewolfwood

is there a way to get some nice details in the shaded part of clouds without moving the sun position or clouds density ?
I want to avoid the large grey area in the clouds lower part.
Is it a GI problem ? Do we need to put some insame value to relight this nicely ?
have you some trick for this problem ?
A second sun without projecting shadows ?

Hannes

With a value of 3 or even 4 in GI relative detail in the render (quality) tab you can get better cloud shadows, but rendertimes are really much higher!

Tangled-Universe

I'd increase the enviro light strength in the cloud-node to something around 1.5 for starters.
It will brighten the cloudin overall as well so in return you might reduce the cloudcolor's brightness a tad.

ndeewolfwood

thanks i will try the enviro light strengh.

another question : the blue sky density color and horizon color change the lighting condition or not ? or did they just change the atmosphere color ? 

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: ndeewolfwood on September 01, 2009, 08:44:00 AM
thanks i will try the enviro light strengh.

another question : the blue sky density color and horizon color change the lighting condition or not ? or did they just change the atmosphere color ? 

They definitely do change the lighting conditions. The lower the sun angle the more red the light will become, like in real life.
This is with the default colors.
When you change these colors this behaviour will change as well. I'd say just experiment with it. I barely change these colors. Most of the times I only adjust densities.

Martin

ndeewolfwood

it's all clear for me now  : thx for taking time to reply.

Henry Blewer

I will sometimes increase the red decay on the atmosphere shader. This adds drama easily, but too much is easy to do. I also change the sunlight color to a light white/yellow. I increase the yellow into red as the sun goes between 10 degrees and below the horizon.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

ndeewolfwood

i've tested the Tangled-Universe and Hannes solution...and it doesn't resolve the problem.
i put enviro light strength from 1.5 to 6.
the clouds shadows always look like a unique solid color (ok not unique but almost)

Maybe my clouds are too low to get  enought light information.

schmeerlap

Increasing edge sharpness may do it.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

ndeewolfwood

i found a solution who looks to work without changing a lot the render time.

i've increase the Light propagation mix  value in the cloud lighting tab.

from 0.125 to .5

not perfect now.....

i will try the edge sharpness too

ndeewolfwood

the "base softness" in the tweaks tabs help a lot too !!!!

domdib

It would be interesting if you could post a few renders of your various experiments.

ndeewolfwood

shit....i've just 2 files : one before and one after...i over save it each time i change a value..stupid i know. i will continue my experiments on clouds this week.

I swear you to be more methodologic in the future and save each crop render.

domdib

Even the "before" and "after" shots would be useful, provided that you specified the changes in settings (or posted a .tgc). It's just helpful to the community, as you can probably see that everyone here is learning this incredibly powerful program together.

ndeewolfwood

not exactly what we are talking about from the beginning...but interessing..look the render time...

when i say no athmo : i've disconnected the athmo node

the wispiness and base softness breaks this solid felling in shadow, that stuff i talking about at the beginning (sorry no GI render without it, forgot to press save)

ps : to domdib :...just wait a little bit..please  :P