TG2 crashes when rendering

Started by R3igN, September 01, 2009, 06:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R3igN

hi

I always get the blue screen error when i render..

My damn computer always crashes when i render images bigger than 600 pixels..

Why  is that? Is terragen bugged or something?

thnx

Seth

Quote from: R3igN on September 01, 2009, 06:31:29 AM
hi

I always get the blue screen error when i render..

My damn computer always crashes when i render images bigger than 600 pixels..

Why  is that? Is terragen bugged or something?

thnx

considering the size of the renders from your fellow terragenists in here, you might better ask if your computer is bugged instead of ask if it is TG2... ;)

Henry Blewer

@R3igN: Try running maintainence scans in the administrative tools. I do this about once a month. This may show many problems you may not know of. I also have Vista's event logger running at all times. This lets me know if there are problems, and reports malicious/unusual code running. Yea, I use Windows Defender, but I do not trust it. The performance logs are handy also.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

R3igN

Ok2

My friend says that the problem is the RAM thing..

I got 2 gig ram is that enough?

Damn it..now i need to buy this thing...

Seth

strange... I did a lot of renders with a single core, and 1 Go ram... most of them bigger than 1200 pixels...
ram might be a problem when vegetation or a lot of reflectivity is involoved but... well... rendering is not impossible on a clean computer :)

Henry Blewer

I have 2 gigs. It seems to be plenty on my 32 bit P4 HT Dell. I've had memory problems doing fluid sims in Blender, but never using Terragen 2. You might want to check what processes/services are running. Some anti-virus programs use up CPU more than is needed. I have a lot of things running, but only things I frequently use. Many Windows features can be stopped (not EXPLORER!). They will activate when called. In Vista, they have a Ready Boost feature. This dumps some disk stuff to a USB Flash Drive (2 gigs, I wish I could put all the OS onto flash. I used to run my Amiga 4000 off a ramdisk. It was really fast that way)

We're really off topic. Would you like to start a new thread in the open discussion part of the forum? 8)

R3igN

yes please

I got 2 gig ram and dual core and still my computer crashes everytime i render ...its irritating..

:'(

Oshyan

Please don't post off-topic responses in other threads. I have split this topic and moved it to the TG2 support forum.

In answer to your problem, render resolution is not the only consideration in determining the source of a problem. We really need to know more about your scenes as well as your computer environment to understand why it may be crashing.

How much free memory do you have on your computer before you start TG2? How about after you start it? What about when rendering? Do you have any free memory when TG2 crashes?

Next, we need to look at the details of your scene. Are you using very high settings like detail above 1? Do you have raytraced shadows turned on in atmosphere or clouds, or GI Surface Details enabled? Things like this can make a big difference.

The best test to do is see if it really crashes *every* time you render higher than 600 pixels. The easiest way to do this is to try it with 4the default scene. Just load up TG2 and then increase render resolution to where it usually crashes and render *with all other settings default*. This will tell you if it's really a resolution issue, or something else.

- Oshyan

Henry Blewer

Thanks for moving this for us. I was hoping that the diagnostic software Windows has might point out something.