A few questions...

Started by paleo, September 04, 2009, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paleo

Hi there,

I have recently rediscovered Terragen 2 (now that it has transparent water and supports my dual core processor), and though I love it (and spend way too much time with it) there are still many things I don't understand well... For now I have a couple of questions, and it would be great if someone could give me some insight.

1) To what extent does the sequence of shaders alter the final terrain? And when does it make sense to put shaders before the "compute terrain" node?

2) I often experience strange results with the altitude/slope constraints of plants/objects when also using a redirect shader for the terrain (plants being in bizarre places)... is that a bug?

3) Smaller fake stones often end up being on top or the sides of bigger fake stones, ruining the desired effect (I usually don't want big rocks with a lot of small lateral bumps)

4) The water level of big lakes is not consistent... Is that because of the underlying terrain being a planet, i.e. the spherical object? Also, the water level is usually a couple of meters off the altitude I am given in the preview window... why is that?

Thanks a lot....  :)

Oshyan

I'll try to answer your questions, but more information and/or specific scenes or image examples may be needed for better problem solving.

1: The sequence of shaders can be very important to the final results. Shaders further down in the network cover and act on the ones that precede them. You would use shaders before the "compute terrain" in any situation where you are only intending to add displacement, not color, to the scene. Displacement should always, when possible, be done before the Compute Terrain as this makes all shaders after it work more accurately to the shape of the terrain.

2: This is probably due to the Redirect shader being used in conjunction with a Displacement shader of some kind, which changes the shape of the terrain. If your population is not set to key its "sit on terrain" setting off of the last shader in the network, it will not place plants correctly. Additionally if significant displacement is performed *after* the Compute Terrain in the Terrain group, you will want to put in another Compute Terrain/Compute Normal.

3: You can use a blend shader composed of an inverse of your larger Fake Stones layer to keep your other Fake Stones from overlaying them.

4: The water level curves with the planet unless you tell it not to. It will be less accurate further from the coordinate origin I believe.

- Oshyan

Henry Blewer

I make the small fake stones first. The largest fake stones last. Sometimes smaller stones are on top of the larger stones, but I aviod this. Too often it does not look right.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

cyphyr

FrankB had a great suggestion for stopping Fake stones overlapping here
And DandleO turned it into a working clip file here
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Henry Blewer

I had forgotten that tip Richard. The merge shader is one I should use more often, for many things.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

paleo

Hey guys,
your replies were really helpful; thanks a lot. This will improve my pictures a lot  :)