WIP'ing on farmland #3

Started by FrankB, September 08, 2009, 11:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

ok, I may go back to this one at one point. But first, I need to finish my "mallorca impression" which is a big learning experience for me. With the farmland project I had reached a certain point of frustration, but I still find it interesting.

For example, I think the scene needs farms and houses, and streets. Ideally though, I come up with a procedural way of placement of these things that is believable. I don't like drawing masks in an external program and working with those masks in TG2. But I feel that doing this procedurally is either going to be very difficult or the result may not be convincing.
Also, the fields still look very CG. Ryan got this worked out much much better than I.

@Marc: yes good haystacks could be really useful, not only for me. I like the hay rolls the most.

Frank

Walli

the problem with those "distributions" is, that in the first moment they look very random. And to a certain degree this is indeed the case.  But then there are other factors like "how to shape the field so that my tractor reaches all parts", old and grown land borders, what kind of plants grows, condition of ground/soil.

So it is a mixture of randomness, rule based and thetic distribution. And the thetic is sometimes no that thetic - often folks think they do something in a thetic way, but actually it is based on experience and so again follows a certain set of rules.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Walli on April 15, 2010, 03:35:41 AM

So it is a mixture of randomness, rule based and thetic distribution. And the thetic is sometimes no that thetic - often folks think they do something in a thetic way, but actually it is based on experience and so again follows a certain set of rules.

A bit off topic and ancient to say the least but in re reading this thread I learned a new word, to wit: thetic. Means positive or dogmatic. Thanks Walli
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist