"Embossed" snow

Started by Lucio, February 09, 2007, 01:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonshine777

This is the first image that I have tried using Lucio's "Embossed" Snow shader and I am impressed. It is a little rougher than I wanted but that may be because of the treatment of power fractal and fake stones applied to the surface below. This image is still a work in progress, I will try to keep posting updates.  Thanks Lucio for your contribution :)

[attachimg=#]

Will

NIce, it seems everyones getting good use out of this clip file
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

sonshine777

Quote from: Will on February 14, 2007, 02:00:07 PM
NIce, it seems everyones getting good use out of this clip file

When you have a winner it's hard not to use it. The thing I like is it allows for tweaking and thus is malleable to one's needs, as we have seen in other examples on this thread.

Tangled-Universe

Very very nice image. Like the low clouds, the little lake and the atmo, gives it a great mood!
Snow surfaces look really nice. One little thing maybe is the glow amount and power of the sun, I'd lower it a little.

Martin

stevehmeyer

Lucio,

Thanks for more than just the clip file.

I have been wrestling with this issue for a while and you not only gave me a way to create a great glacier but second you reinforced for all TG2 users the power of the node network and  third, you opened a door, you gave us a way to think about the the solution of problems like snow creation.

Your clear explanation along with the diagrams is a job well done!

-Steve Horstmeyer

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Voulge on February 14, 2007, 06:26:46 AM
Well,

I used it somehow different - but the main part is due to the embossed-snow-idea (though I just went through the written text)

Just have a look. Thanks again to you, Lucio!

Volker Harun

Would you mind explaining how did you get that effect on terrain....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

king_tiger_666

thats a great render. taking the concept to a final render like that:D!

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

Volker Harun

Hi dhavalmistry,

first I made a twist and shear (0.5) then a negative displacement on slopes (min slope ~40°) for making those larger and tinier overhangs.
On terrain with slopes < 20° I created the base layer like in the embossed snow and a child with displacement-offset:
Baselayer was coverage of 1, child layer has a coverage of 0.75 and fractal breakup of 1.

Second minor displacements on the base layer (stretched for a dune-like appearance) and a very very tiny displacement on its child for the grainy structure.

The main point may be: The displacement offset is ~10. This looks very weird on closeups. The camera is high above the surface and the offset appears very even.

Regards,
Volker Harun

RedSquare

and.....yet another one.  I would like to thank Lucio for saving my sanity, 'cause for the past week or more what ever I've done has resulted in my system crashing some as short as 5.5 mins into the render. Hell even the preview was crashing.  Soooooooooo... to cut a long story short of course it turned out to be me!  Feeding in the snow group and just rendering showed that there was nothing wrong with my system. This is still a WIP.

Cheers and thanks Lucio.

Will

neat, I wonder if terragenw ill ever be able to do ice rings.

regards,

Will

old_blaggard

This is definitely a great technique.  I'm really impressed with the work already done with it and I'm also looking forward to seeing what others do with it in the future.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Cyber-Angel

Some future version of Terragen should be able to do ice rings and related phenomena in the future since it already has ray tracing all you would have to do is extend the ray tracing system to the replication of such phenomena but I am not sure of how hard that this will be. Having said that since we are dealing with a modular system now maybe there will be a module developed to do these kinds of phenomena.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Will

hmm so you mean like how there is the animation plug-in too so have an post-effect plug-in?

regards,

Will

king_tiger_666

what do you mean by ice ring?...

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

Will

Its like a halo, its commly found in the artic and other areas where is is either snow or ice cystals in the atmosphere, VUE does it but not very well. It could be done I think.

regards,

Will