Autumn...

Started by FrankB, September 14, 2009, 05:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

haven't seen anything, Rob. Forgot to hit "submit", maybe?
Sometimes I write a reply and then accidently my thumb hits the back button on my mouse, before I can submit.. aarggh.

Cheers,
Frank

rcallicotte

I know I thought it - Great work, Frank!  I love it.  It looks very real.

Am I losing my mind?   ???   Hope not.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

the render is ready.
I'm disappointed of the quality of that xfrog tree. Probably this one is more suitable for mid distances.
Other than that ... well, you tell me ;)

Cheers;
Frank

Walli

probably you could add one or two populations with objects slightly rotated, so that not all of them lie so flat. Nice colors!

FrankB

'course they lie flat. They've been stomped upon ;D

no seriously, good suggestion. I shall remember that next time.

Cheers,
Frank

PS: Walli, I need a hero tree. Definitely. Please. Soon. ;)

cyphyr

Lovely, and I agree about the tree, set Walli on to that :)
Quote from: Walli on September 14, 2009, 03:17:25 PM
probably you could add one or two populations with objects slightly rotated, so that not all of them lie so flat. Nice colors!
I really wish we could do this, for now we can only rotate objects in the ZX plane, it would be oh so cool to be able to rotate in the ZY and XY plane too. It would also help in placing populations away from the planets "north pole"
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

FrankB

Richard, the way I would do this is add another population or three, where the object reader inside the populator already has rotation applied. Once populated, it will look like a random 3D roation.

Regards
Frank

cyphyr

Yes I know it can be done that way, its just that then you'd have to load the object three times. Probably not an issue with smaller objects like these but imagine trying to create an extensive overgrown forest with trees tipping this way and that. With five or six different trees each being loaded several times to give the offset rotation one could easily run out of memory fast. "All" (because I know nothing is easy) Planetside has to do is allow random rotation in other planes for the populator and the problem goes away.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

FrankB

I didn't mean to load each population thrice. Just one, two or three pops loaded a second time. Also, these tilted (trees for example) can be restricted to near to mid distances, so that they don't eat into memory that much.
But I agree, it's a hack, and allowing rotation around the other planes would be the correct solution.

Cheers,
Frank

Walli

yes, some additional options for the populator would be nice. For examle also the possibility to use one populator for several objects. I am sure Planetside has this on its list ;-)

goldfarb

FrankB
great render...one of the hardest things to do in CG is 'crap'...
nature is mostly dead and broken things but we never build this stuff..

great job!
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

Henry Blewer

That would make a very useful object pack, natural debris. Dead trees, logs, leaves, needles, and various seeds.
The latest render is good. I like the color variation of the trees leaves. The tree would benefit from a more detailed image mapping of it's leaves.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

FrankB

Quote from: njeneb on September 14, 2009, 04:32:54 PM
The tree would benefit from a more detailed image mapping of it's leaves.

Let's face it: it would benefit more from being a better model overall. Those 2D xfrog broad leaves are certainly not the way to go. :(

choronr

Organic debris is common and normal in almost all landscape images. This is a timely offering as what I am working on needs something like this to fill in the voids between rocks and plants ...great one Frank!

FrankB

Thanks guys. Don't forget the credits for the plants / debris go to Walli, not me.

cheers,
Frank