Halloween (maybe) -- FINAL RENDER ON 4th PAGE

Started by typerextreme, September 20, 2009, 05:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

typerextreme

Quote from: cyphyr on September 20, 2009, 08:23:58 PM
I;m rendering at the moment but I'll upload a simplified version of my scene later. It may not be what your after but it should give you some pointers
:)
Richard

All right, thanks. No rush. These two are gonna take somewhere around 30 minutes to render now that i've got the tree positioned again.
Computer stats

Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
RAM: 2gb
Video Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family 358 MB
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46 Ghz

typerextreme

Computer stats

typerextreme

Love the image richard.  Posted in wrong topic. oops
Computer stats

typerextreme

Two renders, one with the orange lightsource and one without.

I'm thinking about trying to find a good, free pumpkin and place the orange light source in it. maybe. Would tie in the whole halloween feel i think.

EDIT: Rendered the images at 800x600. They were at 640x480. other than that, no other changes were made.
Computer stats

Henry Blewer

I like the darker one. It could use some dark ambient occlusion, not much. Just enough to simulate moonlight.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

dandelO

If I can find the model again that I used for this Halloween image a couple of years ago I'll send a link...

Good Evening, Vicar
[attachimg=#]

I think it came in a pack of about 15 free lanterns with different expressions, I'm no longer on that same computer but I'll try to find it.

Henry Blewer

Do they often hang people in front of the church where you are? :D
I like this. I'm sure kids would really love it.

typerextreme

Quote from: dandelO on September 21, 2009, 10:19:37 AM
If I can find the model again that I used for this Halloween image a couple of years ago I'll send a link...

Good Evening, Vicar
[attachimg=#]

I think it came in a pack of about 15 free lanterns with different expressions, I'm no longer on that same computer but I'll try to find it.

Ha ha alright. I think I may have found a decent pumpkin, i'll try it.  http://www.virtual-lands-3d.com/models.html?start=5   there's the link to it. I may try something with it in a little bit.

You should seriously consider redoing this image, when you have time, now that you have more experience. Then again, it looks pretty cool as it is.

Quote from: njeneb on September 20, 2009, 11:14:45 PM
I like the darker one. It could use some dark ambient occlusion, not much. Just enough to simulate moonlight.

I'll try some ambient occlusion in the dark image. Might wind up having two renders instead of one like i'd originally planned.
Computer stats

typerextreme

Alright rendered four images total. first two here.

Ambient occlusion was applied to the darker image from above.

First image is 0.25 surface strength.
Second image is 0.15 surface strength.
Computer stats

typerextreme

Ok continuation here, they wouldn't all fit.

Third image 0.10 surface strength.
Fourth image 0.05 surface strength.
Computer stats

Henry Blewer

O.5 definitely. Just enough to see the tree and landscape. It gives you a lot of 'room' for using illuminated objects if you choose to.

typerextreme

Quote from: njeneb on September 21, 2009, 08:56:08 PM
O.5 definitely. Just enough to see the tree and landscape. It gives you a lot of 'room' for using illuminated objects if you choose to.

Alright, i'm going to work on it some more tonight possibly. If not tonight, probably tomorrow.
Computer stats

typerextreme

Alright, I know the pumpkin is hovering in midair, i'm fixing that as I type this message. I just wanted to upload what I've done. Also, I have a question that maybe one of you can answer.

I found a jack-o-lantern and placed it in tg2, then I attempted to put my orange light source in the pumpkin, changed the light source to yellow set the source radius to 2 and strength 200. This resulted in the inside of the pumpkin being lit, but light is spilling out behind, under, and to either side of the pumpkin, as well as in front of the pumpkin (like I want it to only do) it's also making it grainy (which i'm not sure how to fix).

In simpler terms, how do I make the light not cast outside the pumpkin where it SHOULD be solid?

You should be able to tell from the pic below what i'm talking about, but if you can't maybe you'll be able to once I get the pumpkin positioned on the ground instead of above it.

===========
JUST TO APPEASE THE CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE FOR THE JACK-O-LANTERN

I obtained the jack-o-lantern from here ->   http://www.virtual-lands-3d.com/models.html?start=5
===========
Computer stats

Henry Blewer

Check the pumpkin for double sided polygons. They should be on. The light may not have raytraced shadows turned on. It should be on.
I right click on the location I like for an object, then copy coordinates. Then I paste the coordinates into the 'translate' inout of the object settings. The objects origin (object center) should be almost at the bottom/center of the object. PoseRay should allow you to check this and move it if necessary.