How much do you use the network view?

Started by jo, September 21, 2009, 11:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much do you use the network view when creating scenes?

All the time
40 (66.7%)
Some of the time
16 (26.7%)
Sometimes, but I could do without it
4 (6.7%)
Never
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 59

j meyer

I use the node view exclusively with a few rare exceptions.I find it to be
much! easier then using the list on the upper left.Less confusing for me.

jaf

I would have voted "most of the time" since "some" seems to intimate less than half.

Anyway, I think, as others have indicated, that most beginners use the panels and migrate towards the nodes as they gain experience and start seeing what others are doing using the nodes.  But I suppose there many new users that have been exposed to a node network in applications like World Machine, Genetica, Lightwave node editor, and many others.

One thing I'd like to see is a way to "tear off" the node window to move it to a second monitor -- keep it maximized but still give you the render and preview windows in view.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Volker Harun

Hi jaf ...

go to the Menu 'View' and select 'Network in new Window' ;)

littlecannon

I use both, but mainly network view. I am an artworker by trade and find it easier to look at my mess of connections (rather than a list of words) and even enjoy organizing them. I can also just open the settings that I need without having to change windows. I can also just try different connections or easily duplicate a node etc.
Cheers, Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

neuspadrin

I started off working without the node network at all.  But now that I have a better understanding of how things work, I've started switching over to it occasionally.  Usually when playing around with displacement on terrains.

latego

As it is now, the network view quickly becomes horribly crowded. This is not a fault of this kind of UI, but the consequence of the lack of ways to group nodes into a single block; add this facility and every will become again manageable (e.g., compare FilterForge mind boggling networks with the progressive analysis of Genetica networks).

Bye!!!

Jack

its probably 35% using the network view for me I olnly use it when masking clouds connecting paint shaders functions and doubling atmospheres the rest I can do much easier without the network
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

jaf

Thanks Volker!  I should have known that and think I did at one time. ???  Getting old is tough.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

gregsandor

Quote from: dandelO on September 22, 2009, 03:14:16 AM
I almost exclusively work in the node network. Occaisionally I'll add an object or population from the panels but I'd really prefer they weren't there at all. Or, at least, that the tabs were able to be minimized or closed completely from a default scene.

Echoing dandelo -- I exclusively use the node networks, almost never the panels, and would like to minimize them as well.

inkydigit

I use both...predominantly the network view, though when I first started TG2, I was unfamiliar with how to use the network view, and the panels were familiar like the original Terragen...each has their merits!

JimB

I use the network constantly. The only time I'll use the drop down menu in the panels is for adding elements like cloud layers, or heightfields. Comes from using node based apps for about 15 years.

XSI has a neat way of dragging and dropping from a categorised list panel at the left, directly into the node view. It speeds up the workflow very nicely without all of the right clicking and navigating dropdowns, etc.

Basically, imagine the right-click menu items were put in a panel of columns of main category, and then sub-categories, in a scrollable panel.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: JimB on September 24, 2009, 06:08:45 AM
XSI has a neat way of dragging and dropping from a categorised list panel at the left, directly into the node view. It speeds up the workflow very nicely without all of the right clicking and navigating dropdowns, etc.

I think it would be very nice to have something similar in TG2.
Though the right-click-menu is more optimised now it still is a bit user-unfriendly in my opinion.
It would then also be nice if it has some functionality like holding SHIFT or CTRL or whatever when dragging the node and that multiple nodes of that type are made when clicking left mouse button while keeping the SHIFT or CTRL pressed.

Very simple and little things which make it just easier and nicer to work with.
(am not saying that drag&drop feature is simple and little though)

tempaccount

I always add new items to the scene from the menu on the left because it's quicker. After that, I work exclusively on the network view - I can't get anything done without it. For me, the bit on the left is a bit of a wasted space - wish you could hide it, or something so I could work fullscreen.

cyphyr

I only ever use the left panel for adding new nodes, mostly Terrains, Surfaces and Cloud layers etc. Thinking about it now I never refer to it once an item has been added. The only reason I use it at all is to add 4 or 5 basic node combinations.  That's because the Surface layer comes in with a Breakup shader already attached, Cloud layers arrive with their fractal breakup shader, terrains turn up at a useful size, water arrives with its shader too and object populations have their object markers. Also nodes added this way wired into the Network for you (weather you want them to be or not ;)). None of these are available via the right click menu! If I could add combination nodes like this without the left hand panel then the panel would serve no purpose. On plenty of projects now I'm starting to run very low on Network view real estate, it would be great if the left hand panel could be minimized, giving more space to the Network view and 3D preview.

So my request if your thinking about modifying the network view is to make it bigger and add to it the functionality of adding networked combination nodes. Basically take what the left hand panel dose and put that in the network view via the top row of add buttons and the right click menu.

Just one of those 1.53am waiting for the render to finish rambles. :)

Richard

ps:I have NEVER used the left hand window "list" view (the list visible in the left hand window when the top Node Network button is selected), ever, not once ... :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

dandelO

A really cool thing I've only noticed a couple of weeks ago is this: On right-click of a node's output, the options are there to add any shader from the pop out menu.
I knew you could do this in a node input, obviously, but not its output because it doesn't say 'create' shader when you context click an output. If you choose a shader, though, it will automatically be integrated into the scene after that right-clicked output(and it will resize any groups that are in that area, too.)