How much do you use the network view?

Started by jo, September 21, 2009, 11:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much do you use the network view when creating scenes?

All the time
40 (66.7%)
Some of the time
16 (26.7%)
Sometimes, but I could do without it
4 (6.7%)
Never
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 59

jo

Hi everyone,

I'm interested to know how much you use the network view when creating scenes. It's certainly an important part of getting the most out of TG2, but I think you can also do a lot without using it.

It would also be interesting to hear what you think it would be difficult to do without using the network view. There are obvious things like making function node networks and the like, but if you mostly interact with TG2 using the Object/Shader/etc. panels and the param views then it would be interesting to know the sorts of things you find yourself having to resort to the network view to do.

I just like to anticipate the question as to whether we're thinking of getting rid of the network view, to which I can emphatically state we're not!

Regards,

Jo

Volker Harun

You may have noticed, that for a few times I needed a break. This was after trying to create a scene without using the node network ;)  :D ;D ;D

The node network is essential for me, even for non-function images.

Volker

dandelO

I almost exclusively work in the node network. Occaisionally I'll add an object or population from the panels but I'd really prefer they weren't there at all. Or, at least, that the tabs were able to be minimized or closed completely from a default scene.

I use the terrain tab to add a PF shader for basic terrains aswell, this just saves the need to edit the scales to terrain size if they're added in the network view.

domdib

I haven't done a scene yet where I haven't used it. Of course, the fact that many people on these boards use the network view may not be representative of the typical user, as we are by definition self-selecting as the enthusiasts, some of whom are also expert users who need to use it to achieve advanced effects.

Dune

When starting out with TG2 I used the upper left panel to add things, but now I exclusively use the network. I wouldn't mind if the upper left area could be minimized.

---Dune

Falcon

I'm mostly using the panels and sometimes hide the network view altogether. For the basic scene, I don't need it. However, whenever it gets into detail tweaking or using functions, that's when I switch to using the network view, sometimes exclusively.

Tangled-Universe

I exclusively use the network view, except for creating populations and water objects.

PG

I flick in between the two. They have as much functionality as each other for me. TG2 seems to ge a bit schizophrenic when you open panels in the node network, sometimes it opens new ones and sometimes it just opens them on the left. Windows 7 being a pain for me at the minute, putting new windows behind existing ones so for the minute I'm sticking to the GUI or using XP and disabling all the other processes.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: PG on September 22, 2009, 06:23:49 AM
I flick in between the two. They have as much functionality as each other for me. TG2 seems to ge a bit schizophrenic when you open panels in the node network, sometimes it opens new ones and sometimes it just opens them on the left. Windows 7 being a pain for me at the minute, putting new windows behind existing ones so for the minute I'm sticking to the GUI or using XP and disabling all the other processes.

I agree with you about the schizophrenic part....I'd like to have TG2 *always* open a pop-up when I double click on a node.

Henry Blewer

I think the node network is becoming more intuitive for me. A few times, something I added in the node network did not show up in the 'tree' area. Someone suggested the nodes 'snap' into a grid. I am starting to think this would be a good thing. I was against it before.
It would be nice to be able to create a new Group without having to find it in the menus. Then again, I could take the time to learn the keyboard shortcuts. :-[
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

cyphyr

A little trick, well not even that really, I use is to name groups and individual nodes with a precursor, so a group with an internal network might be " +Stones " for example or a " +Grass ", and nodes I will frequently need to refer to I might call " 1Seed Fractal " etc. The important bit is not the names, call em what you want, its the first letter, number or symbol. Numbers and symbols (well the standard keyboard ones) will always be at the top of your right click assign menu, makes them MUCH easier to find.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Henry Blewer

I often use many of the same nodes over and over. It's not very creative maybe. But I usually place them in the same places. A surface layer will be quite distant from the previous layer or next layer. The child parts are in between, if you follow me. It's easy to trace back up the node tree from each root layer.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

dandelO

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on September 22, 2009, 06:35:41 AM
Quote from: PG on September 22, 2009, 06:23:49 AM

I agree with you about the schizophrenic part....I'd like to have TG2 *always* open a pop-up when I double click on a node.

If you were to keep your current viewport based in the 'node network' tab of the panels, all windows would open in their own box...

PorcupineFloyd

I'd like to see window configuration options like in Adobe CS4 where you can arrange a view and define what is and what is not visible and then give it a name and save. This way you can switch from one view to another quickly. There are some projects that require a bigger network view and some that could do with a bigger preview (especially when it will utilize more than 1 core), but quick and efficient switching between views would really improve the workflow.

And I really prefer to work on "thematic panels" instead of one network view. I like switching between shader tab and terrain or atmosphere one. It makes my work easier to set-up and the network is a bit scary, especially on scenes with a lot of shaders.

Seth

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on September 22, 2009, 05:30:51 AM
I exclusively use the network view, except for creating populations and water objects.

ditto