Elves

Started by rcallicotte, September 22, 2009, 12:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

I think that what we in the west (hey this is a global board so what do I know lol) know as Elvish or Fae do indeed come from the pre-Christian peoples. Some of the stories are rationalizations of the movement of people north as the ice melted after the last ice age. Were the Fairy the last remnants of the Neanderthal pushed to the borders of our world? In Celtic lore the Tuatha Dé Danann came from "O'er the sea" (probably Norway) and defeated the Fir-Bolg, the original inhabitants of Éire. Were the Fir-Bolg in some way different, fae and separate from humans at that time?
Plenty more :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

Tuatha Dé Danann - This was the legend I understood before today, which relates to the whole Irish grasp of the "wee people".  I use this point of view entirely in my novel.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

TheBlackHole

Quote from: mr-miley on September 23, 2009, 06:46:10 AM
Good question from njeneb. Makes a huge difference between mythological Elves and Tolkien ish Elves. I've always thought of mythological Elves as rather nasty, conceited and selfish, sometimes boarding on the psychopathicaly nasty. Tolkien style Elves however are a completely different kettle of fish. Noble, brave intelligent, immortal, skillful, and terrifying warriors at need (not that I have a soft spot for Tolkiens Elves or anything  ;D ) If you want to get into Middle Earth history then the Elves are the firstborn (well, technically the Dwarves were, but they had to be put back to sleep, till the Elves awoke) Orks were created from Elves, as distortions of their beauty and grace, and they bread like rabbits. Definately continue writing about them, whichever type you prefer, it keeps your brain alive  :D and even if you don't publish, at least post a link to some of your stuff here, I'd read it (as would quite a few others here, I would have thought)

Miles

The Tolkien-style elves sound exactly like the ones in Eragon.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

rcallicotte

What doesn't sound like Tolkien or Star Wars in Eragon?  Anyway, didn't want to change the subject.  This has been very enlightening.  Thanks everyone.

Quote from: TheBlackHole on September 23, 2009, 02:39:21 PM
The Tolkien-style elves sound exactly like the ones in Eragon.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

TheBlackHole

I know! When I read about the duel between Galbatorix (or some other bad guy) and someone else (I think it was Brom) I instantly thought, "Vader and Kenobi!"
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?