Elves

Started by rcallicotte, September 22, 2009, 12:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

I write about elves sometimes, when I write.  What do you all like or dislike about elves?  Why should I write about them or should I stop? 

Please give your opinion.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Volker Harun

I like dwarves more :D They ar more solid ... bound to the ground ... nothing like these hippish flippish hopping elvish creatures ;)
Did you know that the dwarves are the ancestors of elves who themselve were only able to produce themselves and orcs ...
What a fine breed :D

Edit: In fact I like elves and always tried to be one when playing AD&D ...
2nd Edit: Do you write short stories?

cyphyr

Elves represent (as do other mytho creatures) our hidden repressed nature. They are fickle, crewel, sometimes seemingly kind but ultimately only ever self serving in nature. They, like our sub-conscious, are not to be trusted. If you perceive them as beautiful, wondrous creatures of magic and enchantment then they have you in their glamor. They are not these things. Their king and queen are of nature and their loyalty is to the earth, I'm thinking we had better be careful. However they do have honor and will keep their word to one whom they consider worthy but woe betide you should you break your word to them. Those I have know have been amiable for the most part, quick to anger, slow to forgive and never will they forget a wrong deed or a selfless act.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

I've been writing for some time and have written a novel alongside a couple of short stories with elves.  I think I did know that about elves and dwarves.  The whole background is interesting. 

Thanks for your opinions.  I hope more people have more opinions, too.  This is fun!

Seth

Elves are just too gay for me ! I really prefer Orcs. don't tell me you didn't guess that ! ;D

Henry Blewer

Are you writing about Tolkienien elves, or elves in mythology? Tolkien's elves were noble, mostly. Mythology has a completely different view of them. Cypher expresses this well.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

pfrancke

I imagine that a half elf might have some merit.  They'd still get to live a long time.  And the arrogant pride aspect has a chance to be muted, as their own kind disown them.  Dwarfs work hard and fight hard, but have that reputation for greed.  And the Orcs just like roaming and blood - and seem to get into trouble all the time - they like motor bikes and pool though..  The high elves are just hated by everyone and poor man doesn't have much of a chance - except I guess they are hardy and have fun breeding.  Big rock throwing giants would be the ticket, so long as they get enough to eat.

EDIT:  I think I'd class myself as an Orc.  I think Orcs would rule the earth, but you can't find two of them that would work together - let alone by themselves.

mr-miley

Good question from njeneb. Makes a huge difference between mythological Elves and Tolkien ish Elves. I've always thought of mythological Elves as rather nasty, conceited and selfish, sometimes boarding on the psychopathicaly nasty. Tolkien style Elves however are a completely different kettle of fish. Noble, brave intelligent, immortal, skillful, and terrifying warriors at need (not that I have a soft spot for Tolkiens Elves or anything  ;D ) If you want to get into Middle Earth history then the Elves are the firstborn (well, technically the Dwarves were, but they had to be put back to sleep, till the Elves awoke) Orks were created from Elves, as distortions of their beauty and grace, and they bread like rabbits. Definately continue writing about them, whichever type you prefer, it keeps your brain alive  :D and even if you don't publish, at least post a link to some of your stuff here, I'd read it (as would quite a few others here, I would have thought)

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

Henry Blewer

Yes it would be fun to read your stuff. I download books from Google and Cern quite often. I make the computer read them while I work. It's often far better than television.

rcallicotte

Publishing is mostly in my sights, before I put something on the Web.  But...I'll see about posting some links.  Thanks for your interest.

I've noticed that all literature (or, at least, most) sort of keeps the general theme of these Neverland characters quite similar.  Most popular novels seem to put all of the characteristics of this faery folk into a conglomeration of something similar or even newer than previously written.  Fairies, for example, with George MacDonald could be mischievous or very kind.  But, in Jim Butcher's novels, fairies are powerful beings that control entire seasons and love to barter just to barter.  Before Tolkien, the whole idea of fairies and elves and orcs wasn't as common in writing.  

Elves started their history in Norse mythology, according to what I just read.  And I always thought Ireland was their birthplace.   Hmmm.  Also, it wasn't Tolkien, as I thought that introduced fantasy into mainline novels.  It was Edward Plunkett, which is something I just learned on Wikipedia.

Cyber-Angel

What of Elven Lore do you know I know a few things but my main interest lies in Dracology (The Study of Dragons), you know that much of elven lore has over time been lost. I would be happy to help if I can.  ;D

There are much worse then orcs these are the Ogers and the race of man is best warned of them.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  

Henry Blewer

They are older than Norse tales. They are associated with Mother Goddess worship, and also tied closely with Woden and company. Modern idiots think they were space aliens. Many of the Arturian legends (the non Christian ones) have magic, and elves and worse creatures are mentioned and take part in the tales.

Seth

do you consider Dryads to be elven ?

Henry Blewer

I consider everything 'belonging to faerie' elven. Titania (?) is the Queen of the elves and Faerie.

goldfarb

Quote from: njeneb on September 23, 2009, 01:03:35 PM
I consider everything 'belonging to faerie' elven. Titania (?) is the Queen of the elves and Faerie.

this might interest you...it's for Sci-Fi but a good chance for practice:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17779-new-scientist-flash-fiction-competition-2009.html

Titania was the name that Shakespeare gave the the Fairy Queen...usually she was never given a name...

elves (norse) have been lumped in with all things Fae (like a ton of other things) the origins of most of this stuff is forgotten by most, even if well known to history/literature....
at a guess I'd say 85%+ of what we think of as 'belonging to faerie' in fact doesn't, or does in ways we wouldn't recognize - it was all jammed together and co-opted by the christians, and used in literature etc (see also the stories of Lucifer that are really just vague recollections of Paradise Lost etc)

interesting stuff though.
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada