My planets are way way too faint

Started by Jane, February 10, 2007, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jane

Yes, my CPU is quite busy with TG2 on my new big Mac, but I manage to do other things(however I try to remember not to play with Google Earth at the same time).
I was wondering if while one is rendering you could be working on another TG image, but I know that wont work.
I should install TG2 on this Mac, but its a couple of years older than the new one and I know it wont cook TG2 renders as quickly.

Anyway, here goes another planet after reading everything,,,,Thank you all!
Jane

3DGuy

On my pc if I want to play with another scene I just start a second copy of TG. I've even done copy and pasting nodes from one instance to another. Didn't have any problems. You probably will experience some slowdowns if both instances are on the same priority level. (don't know how to set that on a Mac though).

old_blaggard

Jane - what kind of Mac do you have?  If it's one of the new Intel dual-core ones, you can make a copy of the TG2 application using command-d, and then run that one as well.  You don't really have to worry about priority, because the system will automatically allocate the processing time pretty well, but you will have to watch out for RAM.  I would recommend having at least 1GB (preferably over 1.5GB) when running two instances.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Jane

I can do that with other programs, but I guess we Macs cant do the priority thing.
I will try running 2 TG2s later, (I had better start dinner around here.)
Gee Ive certainly learned a lot here today, you all are wonderful.
I am going to give my 2 classmates who have been having planet problems the link to that awesome tut!
Thanks again,
Jane

Adding,,,,,Ive got 1.5 G on the newer Mac.  But I dont have a MacTel yet, I plan on getting one this spring, but my computer room is not that big,,,,,,I should give this one to my husband.

Rob Allen

I think you will find this to be one of the friendliest and most helpful forums on the internet, as i have.  Hopefully we will see some of your wonderful work soon!

Jane

I love it!  And you all are so amazingly helpful.
I could TG2 all evening, but someone better start dinner,,,,,,,or my husband will eat everything in sight.
Jane

tl33

i too am having trouble getting my planets visible in my render's.

can anyone explain the process to make the planet self illuminating?

this is what i'm getting now

3DGuy

Take a look at the TGD I placed here:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=713.0

The sun is a self illuminating planet.

Rob Allen

It almost looks like your sky planet is being eclipsed by your terrain planet.  That can happen pretty easily if the sky planet is too close.  Try moving it farther away and making it bigger to compensate, then you should be able to move it out of the shadow.  You can make it self-illuminating too, but that's not as realistic.

Jane

Finally!

Thanks for all your help, I am finally on the right track,
Jane

MeltingIce

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Angealus

Great work!

Ice can you have the new one put in the tut sticky???? :)