Inverted Planet

Started by helentr, February 11, 2007, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helentr

Hi,

Looking at  the Inverted Planet Cylindrical World discussion (http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=615.msg4827#msg4827), plus using negative objects in Wings3D (they have inverted normals and you can subtract them from other objects), also noticing that the background object is a sphere with a negative radius and has textures on the inside, well, I tried to make a negative planet.
The results were strange. The planet from a distance seems to be visible only in a thin top-to-bottom strip.
When you are inside the planet, it is very dark. But putting up a strong light, you can see the terrain above. I tried to get out of the planet, but everything was dark.
Feel free to play with the files, maybe you will do something interesting.
Don't forget to generate the heightfield  ;)

Helen

Volker Harun

This is cool! Thanks for sharing!

helentr

After experimenting further, I thought it was just a regular planet in darkness. There is no atmosphere and the sun has no power (regular lights work). There is nothing to see below the ground, unless you make the shaders luminous, when you will see a general glow. The Y values go crazy (below the terrain Y is some 12000).
It seems that, when you are on the surface of the planet, you are also inside it. The "normal" looking part of the terrain has a bulgy look. If you go further above, you get what looks like "camera inside the terrain" artifacts (maybe it's the mountains that have decided to rise), until, in the distance, most of the planet disappears. Turning around the camera and lighting the sides, what  looked like artifacts, becomes a group of rocks dancing all over (or the side wall of the terrain?). I changed the colour of the "rock" shader (which has a minimum slope of 30) to red and that is what constitutes most of the dancing rocks. After increasing the light intensity, the rest of the terrain came into view, so the whole has a cave look. Of course, one can't be sure which is which, especially whether there is perpendicular terrain or it is all an illusion.
The preview sometimes shows very different from the final render.

Helen

Helen

Will

very intresting, I though about making a planet like that but desided it would not work, I'm glad you proved me wrong this is a really strange occurence it almost seems to be a hologram of a planet.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Mohawk20

Actually, what you are making is called a Dyson Sphere. The was an episode of Startrek TNG called 'Relics', the one with Scotty, where they actually go into the sphere.
I made some screenshots which I put together, check them out here: http://www.ashundar.com/datas/users/2428-dyson%20sphere%20interior.jpg .

Furthermore, instead of creating objects with inverted normals, I just put a Powerfractal on to the Background node. I put a bright lightsource inside, but I ran into a few problems. The lighting is awful, because there are no shadows whatsoever, and you can't get an atmosphere inside (atleast I couldn't). Furthermore I noticed that the water doesn't reflect.

Anyway, I made two renders, the first one still has 'planet 1' and a sun, shining from outside the the background, lighting the planet on the outside, and the background on the inside (had to turn 'cast shadows' off, in order for the background not to show up like a thin line) http://www.ashundar.com/datas/users/2428-dyson%20sphere%20planet.jpg . The second shows the surface with the lightsource at the center of the Dyson Sphere.. http://www.ashundar.com/datas/users/2428-dyson%20sphere%20floor.jpg

I wanted to share the tgd with you, but I get a message I should contact an admin, guess I'm out of upload space.
Howgh!

Will

Huh intresting I've heard of them but never really new, neat. As for the startrek episode I remember that one :)

Regards

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

helentr

If the inverted planet is a Dyson sphere (I was hoping to make one, but I am not so sure now), then so is the regular background object (out of which, Mohawk you seem to have made your scene). They are both behaving rather strange in Terragen. But you can put a sun inside the background object, but not inside the negative planet. I wonder, where is the sun? There are no coordinates in x,y,z space to place the sun.
Will have to experiment further. This is fun  :)

Helen

Mohawk20

Fun indeed!

I think to get a bit of nice lighting with shadows, you'd have to defy the laws of physics and place the sun or light closer to one side of the sphere. In reality the whole thing would blow up if that happened. But on the other hand, the suns gravitation would pull on all sides, so it couldn't even stray like that.
Howgh!

Vyacheslav

The Programme fun.

Mohawk20

So is that Bryce, or Terragen?
If it's Terragen, how did you do the atmosphere?
Howgh!

dandelO

Height controls on an inverted planet atmo just work in reverse, as do cloud nodes. Search for 'Ring World' here.