Planet names

Started by TheBlackHole, October 04, 2009, 09:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBlackHole

Can people post links to good planet name generators? Or just put your best planet names here. No real planets or famous scifi planets like Coruscant or Utapau or Romulus or other scifi planets. Here's the output from one name generator at Seventh Sanctum:
Dunenthu
Eanaruso
Liphentane
Martu
Meusc
Nethuse
Ntanencia
Teop
Zeoiol
Zephrth
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Cyber-Angel

Of all the name generators I've looked at on the Internet the one at seventh sanctum seems the best, May I ask what kind of planet are you working on is it a gas giant or is it one with a solid surface? Is It a world that once was inhabited but no longer is and all that remains is ruins or is it a world with a thriving civilization?

If this is an inhabited world what is its history and culture and what do peoples on other worlds know of them do they have stories and/ or myths about that world and a hundred other factors I could ask, then and only then could I give you names: world building is not easy I know you probably only doing an image but some people take world building further.

Get a feel for the place and its people and just let the name of that place come to you is the only thing I can say for now.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  ;D   

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

latego

Unless a planet is settled, I would expect it to have nothing more than a simple survey designation like Lalande 21185B (the second planet orbiting star #21185 in Lalande catalogue).

When settled, it would become some kind of "New Whatever" or something like that, either in a kind of standard language or in the language of the first settlers.

Bye!!!

TheBlackHole

I just want to  build up my already massive collection of names and numbers aren't good enough. I like the ones at Seventh Sanctum and Yafnag (I even have them bookmarked) but I'd like more generators. And I'd like to do a Celestia AddOn. Not a Terragen image, though I might use Terragen Classic to make some textures...
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

TheBlackHole

I forgot to tell you! One morning I woke up and a planet name came to me! And I wasn't working on anything! That's when I began my collection!
Here's the name that came to me: Maladaeon!

Jack

Thats what ido when i name some of my moon renders I just google latin and greek names such as my aither render
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

latego

Quote from: TheBlackHole on October 05, 2009, 07:50:01 PM
I just want to  build up my already massive collection of names and numbers aren't good enough.

Unamed planets are the perfect locations for "interesting" things; just think of LV-426 in Zeta Reticuli system... there is a VERY GOOD reason why it has no name... nobody hasn't yet survived long enough to give it one!

Bye!!!

rcallicotte

LOL

Quote from: latego on October 06, 2009, 06:50:58 AM

Unamed planets are the perfect locations for "interesting" things; just think of LV-426 in Zeta Reticuli system... there is a VERY GOOD reason why it has no name... nobody hasn't yet survived long enough to give it one!

Bye!!!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

TheBlackHole

Usually if I can't  (or don't have the patience  :D) come up with a name, I just put the star (for example Epsilon Eridani) and then the number planet it is (Epsilon Eridani IV). Other times, I use individual names (for example Zks'Adruuu) for stuff like renders or stuff made with GIMP or Photoshop. There is a problem with my numbering system: when doing moons the numbers get confusing (Epsilon Eridani IV VII).