The Best Win-7 Pro 64 (simple advice I can offer)

Started by matrix2003, October 08, 2009, 07:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrix2003

Unplug every single USB device you own.

That little fact, wasted about 8 hours of my life, that I will never get back !
I forgot the keyboard/mouse was bluetooth, DUH.
I had the TV plugged in, and forgot that was probably a display that that the OS would find. DOH !

So, when they say every device, .... yeahh " the ones plugged into the the back too...."
stoopid ... sad to report: - Bill .   :P
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

neuspadrin

With my machine, when I reinstall vista I have to take out half my ram first install, upgrade everything, then put the ram back.  Something to do with when vista released, for the 64bit version if you had > 4gb ram and certain chipsets, it would crash during the install.... quite stupid given if your installing 64bit you probably have >4gb :P 

Took me forever of searching to figure that as the answer.

TheBlackHole

They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

matrix2003

No.  I can not agree with that.  The new version definitely surpasses Vista.  Smooth like mac.   ;)

CCC

Indeed. My close friend is a computer genius and if i trust him on any one thing, it is computers. Windows 7 will replace Vista quite well but best to wait after Microsoft gets service pack 1 out to do some clean-up and the only real issue currently is lack of drivers but if i recall that is usually the case with every new OS anyways. Windows 7 looks to be what Windows XP was to give Windows Millennium the boot.

Walli

Quote from: TheBlackHole on October 08, 2009, 09:14:23 PM
Yeah, the newest versions of Windows suck.

not true for Windows 7, which even in beta/rc is one of the best OS ever. Of course it still could be improved, but Win 7 is a real good step forward, especially when going for 64bit.

reck

Have to agree with everyone else (apart from TheBlackHole). Windows 7 has been fantastic since i've installed it. The install itself was very fast and simple and it picked up all the drivers. The feedback i'm getting from other people who have also installed it is also postive, so overall it's a massive improvement over vista.

From this positive experience at work i'm now going to but it for home as well. Going to get x64 version of Windows 7 ready for the Terragen 2 x64 release, whenever that might come :) In fact there doesn't seem to be a good reason now to not go for a 64 bit version of windows unless you have really old hardware and can't get x64 bit drivers.

neuspadrin

Same, windows 7 beta/rc when i tried it was pretty awesome.  I can't wait to get a copy.

mr-miley

I've been using Win7 in work since the final RC release. Definately one of mthe best OSes I've ever used. Quite a few of the bigger companies out there have already provided win7 drivers for a lot of their newer (and not so newer, in some cases) hardware, though win7 identified almoat all of my 12/13 periferals on install. It's rock solid, doesn't fall over and is apleasure to use.... never thought I'd hear myself say that about microsoft software  ;D

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

Rhalph

Agree. Plus the fact that the drivers for Vista are fully compatible with Windows 7.
Don't wait for the first Service Pack. Win 7 is like a service pack for Vista :)

neuspadrin

Wohoo, my school finally put win 7 on the network share, and they actually gave us the 64bit image too! Woot!  Finally they understand the need of 64bit ;).

Downloading now, already did a quick backup and good to go :).

matrix2003

Well that is great!  The last month for me has been seamless.   And render times are definitely speedy.

neuspadrin

Well I got all ready.  Burned the disk.  Started up... Hit install....

then some error message about needing a driver for my cd/dvd drive before continueing.  Which didn't make sense seeing as it was RUNNING ON MY ONLY DVD DRIVE.

So I was like fine - went and got my sata controller drivers and put them on a flash drive tried to install it (and it detected them as the drivers it needed) ... but it wouldn't install still.

So then I googled and notice sometimes having ide emulation on in your bios will cause the problem.  Checked, nope wasn't doing ide emulation. 

Googled more... failed burn or image download.

Ran md5 on the image... sure enough, corrupted download.  Now I gotta redownload the 3 gig image.  /sigh...

Ogre

Trying to download now for the 4th time  :-\

I spoke to our corporate IT guys and they said that IE and the Microsoft download manager don't seem to work. Ironically they had no problems using Firefox to do the download. Trying that now.
"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

neuspadrin

Yeh I heard something like that too.  But I did it in chrome originally, I figure I'll do in firefox with my antivirus turned off next time.  Sometimes if the antivirus is scanning the incoming file it can corrupt it as it comes in and such.