A Get Started Terragen 2 Tutorial for the Terrified

Started by schmeerlap, October 09, 2009, 08:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Blewer

http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

dandelO

I'm sure your tutorial is just as dedicated as anyone elses around here, John. I haven't actually had a nosey myself but, judging by the response to this thread, I think I can safely say that it is one of the most useful resources in the forum. :)

kasalin

Hi John, nice to read from you here and thanks a lot.......thanks a lot, Bob,  and thanks a lot to all the others.

Puh.....Much material to work trough !!!!

I'll do my best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tangled-Universe

Yes this is a very good place to get started and you're an example of an enthusiastic and dedicated beginner Kasalin :) (Diane, isn't it?)

Cheers,
Martin

kasalin

Tangled-Universe :

Hi Martin,  no my name is Karin !!!!!!

kasalin is also my user in RERO !!!!!!

Greetings

Karin

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: kasalin on May 06, 2010, 09:10:28 AM
Tangled-Universe :

Hi Martin,  no my name is Karin !!!!!!
kasalin is also my user in RERO !!!!!!

Greetings
Karin

Oops :) ...not mixing up people in real-life is hard some-times, let alone on the internet. Sorry Karin :)

CrazyEnzo03

Your tutorial is still working for people today as well.
Attached is my Ben McDuff; I changed up the clouds because I didn't like the ones the tutorial produced.

domdib

schmeerlap

Well done Crazy... . And you're quite right, when you meet a Buddha on the road, feel free to kill him (he will laugh with approval). Your clouds are indeed an improvement.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

rocknrollguy767

uh... i've tried all sorts of stuff but the grass won't show up in the 3d preview or the render... ???

bobbystahr

Quote from: rocknrollguy767 on August 06, 2010, 12:48:10 PM
uh... i've tried all sorts of stuff but the grass won't show up in the 3d preview or the render... ???
post the .tgd file and one of us will look at it.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

schmeerlap

Quote from: rocknrollguy767 on August 06, 2010, 12:48:10 PM
Your reference to the grass not showing up in the 3d Preview makes me wonder if you're expecting to see the outline boxes that show there for objects. There are no grass objects in this beginners' tutorial, just a small displacement power fractal connected to the Grass (colour) Surface Layer to give it a bit of bump. As Bobby says, post your tgd in this thread and I'll play with the displacement parameters to try and get it to show up more. Or you can fiddle with it yourself. Better still, why don't you check out dandelO's excellent procedural grass clip which you can use instead. I've included the link to that below.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3842.msg40524#msg40524

Regards
John

rocknrollguy767

schmeerlap

Hi rocknrollguy767,

The reason the grass didn't show is because you had the grass colour power fractal connected to the blending node of the grass surface layer (indicated by the yellow blob on the node graphic attached). Positioned there it acted as a mask obscuring your grass. I put it back where it belongs (on the colour node of the Surface layer). I also had a little mess about with the grass displacement parameters to get a better bump effect in the grass (don't know if I succeeded). I also changed your dirt settings as you had a fully saturated red for your dirt, but I left your grass colours alone.

John

hypnomedi