A Get Started Terragen 2 Tutorial for the Terrified

Started by schmeerlap, October 09, 2009, 08:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmeerlap

Hi Featherwitch
We all start of as noobies; no apology required. Just increase the number of samples in the Quality tab of the Atmosphere to get rid of the noise. Have fun.

Hi Ardy Haze
Yeh, Render Image does improve the resolution   ;D. Come out of that hole that swallowed you up; Most of us have "D'oh" moments. For me they are also known as "senior moments", and they occur more often than I care to admit to. ;)

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

bla bla 2

And the snow.

Et la neige.

-Bastien-

stew

hi thanks for the tutorial - It greatly assisted in first scene!!

here is a link to the raw render and the shopped version:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=13486.0

Again - Much appreciated!

Stew

ghotir

schmeerlap

Well done, ghotir. I hope you enjoyed the climb, not too steep, I hope. You can get rid of the noise under the clouds by increasing the quality setting (number of samples) in clouds and atmosphere. Hope you're encouraged to further your experience with TG2.

John

dimdim07

NO GUTS, NO GLORY!

machosalad

I made an animation of this mountain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTQcSafC3Q
But i can't get the background to stop flickering.

These are the settings i used:
Detail: 0.6
Anti-aliasing: 3
Ray trace objects: true
Ray trace atmosphere: true
GI relative detail: 1
GI sample quality: 3
GI blur radius: 8
GI surface details: false

Does anybody know why the background flickers? Thanks.

schmeerlap

First of all, thanks for doing that animation. I think it looks good compared to some other Terragen2 animations I have viewed at YouTube. I myself don't do animations and can't help you with flickering (though it seems minimal to me). It seems that Matt of Planetside is the man to see about this. I did a quick search and found this entry by Matt on the subject:

"I have used GI in clouds on a number of real productions recently, involving lots of cloud, and GI flickering has not been a problem. A GI sample quality value of 3 is sometimes good enough. Rarely is more than 5 or 6 needed. It increases render times, but not by a great deal. I know that it probably depends on other factors, and some scenes will be more stubborn.
EDIT: Any time you have a scene that flickers even with high GI settings, please let me take a look.
The main source of flickering that I have found is the cloud layers' Acceleration Caches. I need to set them all to "None" to prevent flickering. This is completely independent of GI though.
I plan to implement GI baking this year."

I hope that helps a little, but like I say, ask the main man (Matt) himself for expert advice.
Regards
John

Oshyan

The flickering is almost certainly due to differing Global Illumination solutions between frame. You can solve this with GI caching. Please see documentation here:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Terragen_2_Global_Illumination

- Oshyan

Katster

Thanks for this Tutorial :)  Hubby told me to download Terragen and said he thought i'd like it.  He was right.  Had heaps of fun "climbing" BenMcDuff and am eager to try my own.  Still fuzzy on what everything does, but will play and explore over the weekend :)

(I think I may have gone overboard on the red! oops!)

bobbystahr

nice first attempt on Mt BenMcDuff...LOL...welcome to your new world...if queries arise have no fear, answers are here just ask.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

schmeerlap

Well done, Kat. Nice effort, and glad you enjoyed it.

Quote from: Katster on June 07, 2013, 07:52:38 AM
Still fuzzy on what everything does
(I think I may have gone overboard on the red! oops!)

With practice most things will become less fuzzy. And as I think Ishihara is the instigator of a diabolical conspiracy (I see no numbers in his infernal chaotic patterns of coloured dots) I won't comment on matters of colour.

John

Nutronic

So none of you here were noobs at some point? :)

I am going to start working my way through this tutorial now and that is the main reason I am posting here, so I can find it easier.

Nutronic

Here's my version from your tutorial.

I did try to add some trees but they are showing as little black dots which is a pain for me :(

Expandable thumbnail:
[attach=1]

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd