file formats imports

Started by VDP, October 19, 2009, 11:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDP

Hey everyone, this is my first post so take it easy!  My 3d rendering experience is mainly architectural, and when I stumbled across Terragen 2 I was literally blown away! 

My problem is this: I have a very large area in dwg, skp and even 3ds if it helps - but only in separate pieces - as currently, the file becomes too large in autocad or sketchup to stitch together.  Is there a way I can import .dwg files or similar (or convert them to something compatible) into Terragen 2?   My next avenue maybe dwg -> xml? 

thanks,

VDP

Ogre

"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

VDP

Thank you! I'll give that a go.

rcallicotte

Some users here are incredibly helpful and most are just plain nice.  Don't worry.  We all have something we don't know.

Quote from: VDP on October 19, 2009, 11:18:03 AM
Hey everyone, this is my first post so take it easy!  My 3d rendering experience is mainly architectural, and when I stumbled across Terragen 2 I was literally blown away! 

My problem is this: I have a very large area in dwg, skp and even 3ds if it helps - but only in separate pieces - as currently, the file becomes too large in autocad or sketchup to stitch together.  Is there a way I can import .dwg files or similar (or convert them to something compatible) into Terragen 2?   My next avenue maybe dwg -> xml? 

thanks,

VDP
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

TG2 can import OBJ and LWO formats right now, so if you can get your model(s) into that format, they should come in just fine. To include texturing info you'd need to use OBJ with a properly formatted MTL file.

- Oshyan

N810

At one time I had a tool to inport/export obj files for autocad...
I forget if it was lsp or arx but I do rember it was simple and free,
If only I could find it...  :P

I think it was called something like OBJOUT ???
Hmmm... wonder what this button does....