XFrog to PoseRay

Started by MGebhart, October 20, 2009, 07:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGebhart

Hi,

I need a hand on getting my XFrog Trees into Terragen.

First I export the tree out of XFrog as a .low

I import into Poseray and make sure all images are attached.

Then I export out as an obj to a new separate folder and copy image tiff files to that new folder as well.

Terragen imports it fine as an obj and I get the textures but the alpha channel will not work.

Marc Gebhart

Hetzen

In the red node above the grey ones, if you double click you'll see a load of tabs in the settings with your bitmaps in each page. In the opacity tab, there should be a "get opacity from alpha" switch, or something along those lines.

jo

Hi,

Have you tried exporting them as .obj files? Our .obj import was more or less built around being able to import .obj files from Xfrog cleanly.

Regards,

Jo

MGebhart

Thank you for responding.

1. I know about the Alpha switch but, will not work.

2. Exporting from XFrog to obj gives me warnings in Terragen. Can't read mtl file. The file is in the same folder as the obj and tiff files.

I'm Stumped
Marc Gebhart

jo

Hi,

Make sure you don't have any spaces in the mtl file name or path. I'm not sure how you would do that in Xfrog, but I presume there is some control over how things are named.

Regards,

Jo

MGebhart

This is the mtl file as created by XFrog. This is a different XFrog model than first posted.

Could you show me an example of what you mean by eliminating spaces.

Thanks.

newmap trunkMap CL01brk.tif

newmtl trunkShader
Ka 0.27451 0.211765 0.14902
Kd 1 1 1

Ks 0 0 0
Ni 0

newmap leavesMap CL01ned.tif

newmtl leavesShader
Ka 0.109804 0.247059 0.0980392
Kd 1 1 1
Ks 0 0 0
Ni 0

Marc Gebhart

jo

Hi,

What is the actual mtl file in the same folder as your obj and tiff files called?

Regards,

Jo

MGebhart

Here are the names in the folder.
Ignore the LWO File. I was trying that as well.
Also, Ignore the MODO icon for the obj file. It's just an association. It was exported as an obj from XFrog.
The folder is on my Desktop.

Marc Gebhart

Kadri

Hi, MGebhart,

In your path i see a space between   "Marc Gebhart" . Try in another (but not in your user folder) or new folder without a space between like Jo said.

Cheers.

Kadri.

jo

Hi Marc,

Open the obj file in a text editor and search for "mtllib". This line refers to the mtl file. I suspect that maybe you have a full path to the mtl file there, something like:

mtllib C:\Users\Marc Grebhadt\Desktop\CL01_Abies_concolor_White_Fir\CL01y.mtl

Assuming that the mtl file is in the same folder as the obj folder, as you have, you may have more luck if you change the line to look like:

mtllib CL01y.mtl

I think the problem is the space in your user name. The obj format doesn't officially support spaces in the mtllib filepath, but plenty of applications do that and it's a bit of a problem for loading applications like TG2 which follow the spec closely. We need to loosen this up. I don't know if Xfrog allows this, but if you export the obj file so it uses relative paths for the mtl file and such then it should be less of a problem.

Regards,

Jo

MGebhart

Changed the obj mat entry to: mtllib CL01y.mtl

Here is what I am getting now. I think we are getting closer. Still no image file attached.

Under each Red entry the image name appears but will not render.

Marc Gebhart

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Klas

Hi Marc,
which version of Xfrog do you use? I am using 3.5 (051204) and have no problem with the exported .obj files. If you are using an older version please update. The tip in the wiki is if you export the trees as .lwo, but the obj-format is much better here.

MGebhart

Marc Gebhart

MGebhart

Quote from: Klas on October 21, 2009, 10:37:19 AM
Hi Marc,
which version of Xfrog do you use? I am using 3.5 (051204) and have no problem with the exported .obj files. If you are using an older version please update. The tip in the wiki is if you export the trees as .lwo, but the obj-format is much better here.

yes i have 3.5
Marc Gebhart