Dense City Shader...

Started by dandelO, October 30, 2009, 10:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Say it quick... ;) :D

Just a caricature style basic planet with a test of the new shader. :)

[attachimg=#]

Thanks for looking! :)

cyphyr

Great :)
But how on earth did you manage to get the city pops to run perpendicular to the surface of the planet, every time I've tried they always end up perpendicular to the ZX plane, independent of their global position :(
Or is it not a population at all?
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Henry Blewer

New Shader? That's interesting! It looks cool, though a bit Lexx like. More details please? :D
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

dandelO

Not any populations, no. It's all displacement.

I'll try and make it streamlined to share, it's a mess just now...

cyphyr

Ah got it :)
Voronoi Cell Shader ?
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Gannaingh

dandelO

Hmmm, no but there's an idea with the voronoi...

The displacements come from 2 default shaders, the displacement function of these is 2 fake stones shaders.
If you make a FSS the displacement function of a shader it displaces only the outline of each stone, directly upwards(along normal). The stones have no shape as such, they are just white colour information that drives the displacement.

There's a white fractal luminosity function in there, too, which adds the white lines and dots that appear a bit like lights.
The coloured 'lights' are postworked in after.

The density shader of the dense city shader here is driven by a painted shader. I did have two opposing cities in this but one side didn't look as good and couldn't be fixed without messing up the look of both cities.

I have some tests going with regular-scaled scenes for this aswell, the middle planet here only has a 1m radius(;)) I'll be working on it for a wee while longer...

aymenk2003

Hi dandelO...
I guess you are preparing a new dandelO's pack 5 ?
you never stop to surprise us...

N.KAID 
Le peu que je sais, c'est à mon ignorance que je le dois.

Zairyn Arsyn

cool.  8) 8) 8)
I'd like to see a version that covers the whole planet.... like Coruscant or Trantor
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

domdib

Not those pesky fake stones AGAIN! Is there anything they can't fake?  ;)

dandelO

Aymenk: It would actually just be vol.4. The new grass shader was a pre-release for that. I'm actually behind on the making of that, kind of forgot about that for the moment. My plan was to release the grass, 2 different scaled voronoi cracks(like in my Crato render), a default project(an easy way out of making an entire scene. ;)) and  this city shader would have been in. Another project I hadn't decided on yet, too.
Only the cracks haven't been added already to the forum, the rest is all here so, I'm back to square-one, really. :D

Z: I could easily remove the dense city shader's density shader and it would cover the planet.

This is far from pretty, by the way, in most scenes. You must meet certain requirements for it to hold up well at all; It is really just displaced terrain and the textures/luminosity from the terrain are horribly stretched and are best kept at a bare minimum of one colour, not a mixed fractal,(including the luminosity functions, they become luminous vertical lines on the walls, which is actually pretty cool but not ideal) it works well in the dark, being backlit and at a far distance. I'll upload something soon hopefully...

schmeerlap

Just got my lug skelped (for reading it too quick . . . aloud)  ;D

Amazing (can't-wait-to-try-that-out) info here. When's your book, "How To Cheat With Terragen2", coming out?  ;)

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

dandelO

Quote from: schmeerlap on October 30, 2009, 06:32:36 PM

Amazing (can't-wait-to-try-that-out) info here. When's your book, "How To Cheat With Terragen2", coming out?  ;)

John

:D :D :D

aymenk2003

Quote from: dandelO on October 30, 2009, 06:40:17 PM

John

Why not ... ;D
Le peu que je sais, c'est à mon ignorance que je le dois.

Zairyn Arsyn

Quote from: aymenk2003 on October 30, 2009, 06:49:41 PM
Quote from: dandelO on October 30, 2009, 06:40:17 PM

John

Why not ... ;D
:D
will there be a cheat render times chapter?

:D :D :D :D :D
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/