Camera Positioning Problemo

Started by Stridemovies, November 01, 2009, 11:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stridemovies

Have a problem, When trying to get a good camera position say in a Canyon.
I keep pulling back with the camera but inevitably hit the canyon wall that is behind me and going through it.
Then end up rendering pieces of that wall.
Is there a way to mask out that section of wall or do I need to attack it with the brush tool not keen on permanently
altering the terrain

Oshyan

What is the source of your canyon terrain?

You could potentially use a Distance Shader attached to your render camera, with a short distance in front of the camera, and attach it as an inverted blend shader to your main terrain displacement shader. Or, as you said, just use the paint tool with some negative displacement.

- Oshyan

Stridemovies

Thanks Oshyan, Guess I'll need to spend some time getting familar with the shader network. Attaching a
Distance Shader to the render camera sounds like a good idea couldn't see it listed on the pull down list so
need to locate it.

Stridemovies

Forgot to mention ,Canyon is be generated out of the TU Canyon Pack.

Oshyan

You would need to attach the Distance Shader to the Blend Shader input of your primary displacement-generating node, or use a Displacement Shader with negative displacement and the Distance Shader as input. Honestly the Paint Shader might be a quicker solution if you're not yet familiar with the Distance Shader.

Now that you've mentioned the TU Canyon Pack, I think there's a tutorial as part of it (or relating to it) that shows how to paint the exact position of your canyon. So that should be even easier.

- Oshyan

Stridemovies

Hi Oshyan, Thanks for all of this, think I'm trying to run before I can walk. Have had some success painting the canyon from scratch but it's a bit hit and miss getting the right spacing between the walls.
I watched the video tutorial but it's low res and no sound.
I guess another way would be to create two separate height fields and just make them cliffs then I could slide them into postion to find the right foreground to background .

Oshyan

You could also try contacting Martin (Tangled-Universe) who made the canyon file. I imagine he'd provide good support for it. :)

- Oshyan