How to adjust the sky?

Started by penang, November 02, 2009, 01:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penang

Help !

This happens to the Terragen Classic as well as Terragen 2.

There are times I've got something set up, but when I put on the sky, there are "black spots" on the sky.

Sometimes it looks like bulls' horns, sometimes couples of half circles, sometimes the combination of both.

I just don't know how to make it right.

Let's say the camera is 200 meters above a mountain peak ( which is 3000 meters ), which makes the camera having the altitude of 3200 meters, and it's aiming at the spot located at 1000 meters.

Far away near the horizon (sea or plains or mountain range, no matter) the sky has dark spots.

I checked the "Sky" configuration, the cloud is at around 1000 meters, so I raise it to like 4000 meters.

Lo and behold, the "dark spot" problem worsen ! Now a large part of the sky went dark.

Is there a tutorial or whatever on how to set the sky so that I can set the camera on high places?

Please help !

Oshyan

Hi Penang, the rendering systems and atmosphere models for Terragen 2 and Terragen Classic are completely different, so there are rarely - if ever - any bugs that are common between the two of them. So it's strange to hear a report like this. Without seeing an image of the problem, it's hard to say what it might be. Does it show up in rendered images? If so, can you save one, convert to JPG, and post it here in the forums? Use the Attachment function under "Additional options" at the bottom of the Reply window. You can also try posting a TGW (Terragen Classic world file) or TGD (Terragen 2 scene file) for us to reproduce the problem.

- Oshyan

penang

I will save the image and .ter files from now on if I encounter this problem on both Terragen Classic and Terragen 2.

Normally I just delete them out of frustration :)

ThinkPink

Hi Penang,

I had this problems with TG Classic too. Go to "Cloud settings" and change the value of "Sky Size" from "4096" (standard) to "10000". Somewhere in the forum (or a tutorial) I once read, that this standard setting of the sky size means the "width" of the sky not the height. So, if your camera is very high your are looking behind the "border" of the sky (4096 m far away), and that's black.
On the other hand, a value > 10000 (I think this was the setting) could bring up other strange effects.

In TG2 I hadn't this problems.

Hope this will help

encee

Penang, far be it from me, as a complete newbie, to give advice on here, but I`ve also read the same as the above poster, on another forum, that increasing the sky size will sort out this problem.

In fact on that particular forum, they were advocating an increase to a size of 12000, and were citing this as "the norm".

I have since tried this, and have found that all black portions/spots etc......have disappeared altogether. Just make sure the camera isn`t set too high..........cheers.  :)

TheBlackHole

Increasing the Sky Size to 16384 makes for very good results. You can even remove the terrain (uncheck Render Land) and add clouds for a gas giant effect with a Sky size that huge.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Oshyan

Good ideas. I would have suggested increasing sky size except that it was reported it happened in TG2 as well, and the sky is a complete sphere in that case. *shrug*

- Oshyan