Planetary rings

Started by RichTwo, February 13, 2007, 07:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Thanks, I tryied to get a thicker band but terragen crashed when render so for now this is all you guys get.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Dark Fire

§ardine

Quote from: Rob Allen on February 14, 2007, 03:36:15 PM
...I might like to use this in Terracell at some point, if I may?

Hey go for it! I was actually thinking of offering to do this part for you when you mentioned the possibility of adding rings to Terracell. However, I really don't have the time (haven't done a single render in almost a week :'()

Please use what I've posted, it's for everybody to use/learn.

~Sardine

sonshine777

Here is my go at Planet Rings. There are two Populations and two Ring masks. I am however having trouble getting the image of Saturn to map correctly, it is currently through the camera.

Enjoy
[attachthumb=#]

sonshine777

Here is the files I used to create the above scene.

It includes two ring mask images, the projection image of Saturn, the .tgd file and a .tgo file for the rock.  Thanks Sardine for the insight into this technique, I hope others will put their ideas into making this better.

Tom
[attach=#]

old_blaggard

Nice efforts and thanks for sharing.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Dark Fire

Wow...That's a wierd but nice picture. I especially like those layers in the rock on the planet that the camera is on.

Will

Nice picture only thing I would say is give the clouds a little bit more depth, right now they look almost completely flat.

Regards,

Will

trailgirl

These are rings made out of discs, there are nine discs with a gap. The problem I ran into with the discs is that they are jagged at the edge, on the far left of the rings. It might not be too noticeable at this size.

Oshyan

Quote from: sonshine777 on February 18, 2007, 01:48:39 AM
Here is my go at Planet Rings. There are two Populations and two Ring masks. I am however having trouble getting the image of Saturn to map correctly, it is currently through the camera.

You will want to use Spherical Projection to wrap onto a planet. You will need to specify the position of the texture as the center point of the planet and the size to be equivalent to the planet size as well, I believe.

- Oshyan

sonshine777

Thanks Oshyan I will givwe that a try, I hadn't tried scaling the image size. :)

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

trailgirl

Will

great use of disks, I like the tiny moon too :)

Regards,

Will

sonshine777

Where you able to get the disks to be partly transparent? I know that is why I like the population route, because I couldn't get the disks to be see through.