Planetary rings

Started by RichTwo, February 13, 2007, 07:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

Got a question about creating planetary rings - the Disc object may be able to do it, so it seems, but I've yet to figure out how to position it or a planet so that the ring is at the planet's equator.  Or maybe that's not possible just yet?  No biggie, just curious.
They're all wasted!

Will

you just translate it down using the cords. here I set a ring up for you.

regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Will

I think he is dealing with putting rocks around a planet to create a more detailed ring, I know someone did it one of the alpha team and it looked nice in somewhere around these fourms.

Regards,

Will

§ardine

I posted an example here
It's more complex than just the disc idea, but I've been able to render over 1,000,000 rocks in a very minimal time.

old_blaggard

Very interesting.  Somehow I missed that.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dhavalmistry

ya I missed that too.....very nice Sardine....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Will

I remember that, didn't see the zip file though, playing with it now.

Regards,

Will

RichTwo

Still looks a bit tricky, but I'll play with it & see what I get.  Thanks, Will & everyone!!
They're all wasted!

§ardine

When rendering the full population in that pic I have a through camera mask set up to limit the population to just the visible aria. Also if you edit the image mask and color the non-visible arias black that will also optimize things a little as well.

Will

do you think if I changed the image to add a bit more noise around the disk it would create a more realistic disk population?

Regards,

Will

§ardine

I found that a fade in the image mask works great -the rocks will slowly get thinner as they approach the black arias of the mask. The image I used in the example is very basic, I've since added several gray>>black rings toward the center so the rocks are further apart and don't form such a hard line in my scene.

Rob Allen

I was doing my own experiments with rings about a week ago, using Fake Stones but had some problems with the space between the stones being solid.  Ultimately I canned the project so that I could focus on more important parts of Terracell, but I might like to use this in Terracell at some point, if I may?

Will

Here what I've come up with so far.

regards,

Will

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.