New series of TG2 Challenges starting soon at Renderosity

Started by AndyWelder, November 10, 2009, 03:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmeerlap

Quote from: Rich2 on November 11, 2009, 03:33:53 PM
you may post a WIP in the Gallery.  If your Challenge entry is exactly the same, it's disqualified.  If your Challenge entry looks too much like it, it's disqualified.

Hmmm . . . A WIP that hasn't any resemblance to the finished product . . . an interesting concept.  :-\
I can foresee arguments about where the line is drawn by the adjudicators, disqualifying some, while allowing others (this one looked too much like the WIP, whereas that one was sufficiently different from the WIP, even though many of you may have identified the artist). If that's the road your'e determined to travel, bon voyage is all I say.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

dandelO

Over there, a complete ban should be put on WIP posting for any contest, I think. Too many people have too big a fan-base that they would win on that merit instead of on the actual work put into the project. Argue this all day long, as is your wont, I don't have time for that, just saying, as one who has had his hackles rubbed up wrongly over there in the past. I like to pick at my scabs.

The part about WIP posts that are unlike the finished article has really baffled me, though, I don't see how that could even be possible. Do you post just one blade of grass as a WIP, one px of atmosphere sample? Anonymous should mean just that, hell, should I post under my Rendo-Incognito profile(the one used to check stuff out that people post elsewhere about RR that I might like to read/view), no, probably not because someone has pre-won that contest already.

I must stop before I get my back up again over that farce.
Sorry, Andy.

Henry Blewer

I'll pass on this one. Renderosity has some good articles at times. I look through the galleries, and see some very good work. But I don't like having to explain why I think something can be improved is not bashing.
I never mean to be an ass, I just resemble one on TV...
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Jack

count me out................... i wish i could delete the o in count :(

Rectumosity is all i have to say so much brown tongue over at that place its beyond stupid
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Oshyan

Fellas, fellas.  ::) Ok, so you don't want to participate and don't like the rules. Constructive feedback, please.  ;D

- Oshyan

pfrancke

The 250 K size limit seems kind of silly.  Regarding the comments about overly nice people with their loyalties and followings... well, there are some very nice people over there.  However, no matter where you go, a thick skin and a thick head will always be an asset.  I really like the structure of RO, where you can backtrack through what others consider their favorite artists and work.  And the world is bigger than TG... but frankly you do feel awkward when you get too many non-constructive WOW comments (something that I don't have to worry about too much).  

The format of this site and Ashundar is much better for information sharing though.  I started going there (RO) and posting TG2 work simply because of the recent comments and invasion of planetside site where the theme was that TG2 must not be very good since there weren't many TG2 postings there.  But while my venture started in anger, it ended on a very pleasant level.  

rcallicotte

Comments at Renderosity depend upon the person giving them.  I've met some nice people who didn't give air-head comments and I really don't care about the voting there at this point as long as I can relate to a few people to improve.

I'm a marked man.   ;D

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

cyphyr

I've always liked the challenges over at CGTalk, long, challenging, difficult, not anonymous, WIP's are required, huge prizes (well their inspiring but I've never even hoped to win!), great feedback and a great atmosphere. I've lernt so much from them, from watching how other people developed their ideas to getting feedback from people who really know what they're talking about. My favorites so far have been the "Grand Space Opera" and "EON".
Its nice to get the wow's at rosity but after a bit it wears a little thin and I don't think I've ever had critique, am I that shit or so good or cant they be bothered!

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

TheBlackHole

They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?