New series of TG2 Challenges starting soon at Renderosity

Started by AndyWelder, November 10, 2009, 03:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyWelder

On November 15th we will start a new series of TG2 challenges open to all Renderosity members and owners of the free or registered version.
It will be a Themed Challenge and these are the rules for now:

# Postwork is allowed. See Forum for specifics, because postworking restrictions may vary per challenge.
# The use of objects/populations is limited to the maximum of three, as available in the free version.
# Click HERE for the Theme thread in the Forum and a more detailed explanation.
# Final entries must be done in Terragen Version 2, either registered or unregistered. Entries rendered in Classic Terragen will not be accepted.
# Entrants are required to mention what version of TG2 they used to render their entry. The contest is open to all Renderosity members
# All entries must be in the JPEG format
# Please keep the images to a maximum of 1024 pixels by 768 pixels and not more than 250 KB
# Thumbnails must be no larger than 100 by 100 pixels
# The Challenge starts the 15th day of November and ends on the 8th of January 2010 at Midnight Renderosity Time
# One image per person, feel free to post your WIP's in the forum for feedback
# Please do NOT add a signature to your render, the challenge is ANONYMOUS
# Do not post your entry in any gallery,until the challenge is over
# The winner picks the next edition's theme, subject to approval by the challenge manager

Regarding the maximum allowed image size there's still a discussion going on at the Terragen forum, you can find it here:http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2786678

On November 15th the theme for this challenge will be announced.
Hope to see your entries soon!
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Kevin F

Quote from: AndyWelder on November 10, 2009, 03:02:04 PM

What's the point of anonymity if you can post WIP's?

AndyWelder

"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

schmeerlap

Quote from: AndyWelder on November 10, 2009, 05:26:21 PM
You could post a WIP of one aspect of your render...

What kind of "aspect" of the WIP can you be referring to that won't be recognisable in the final render? Sounds a bit iffy to me, and have to agree with Kevin F here.
The challenge might be more useful if it is treated more as a workshop project (no need for anonymity) where we can learn from one another. In that case WIPs would not only be ok, but would be encouraged. I also fear that the anonymity in such a small community as the Renderosity Terragen2 users will be easily seen through, as the work of a number of the probable participants will be recognised by a resemblance of style seen in their gallery uploads.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Zylot

Not that I have the skill yet to enter these kinds of challenges on a regular basis, but I must echo the points made.  It's better when the contest can be used to help everyone learn and improve,

dandelO

I'll pass.
Entering a Renderosity image will give you nothing but 500 ignorant 'WOW!' comments for a mediocre attempt, and possibly, (maybe) even one or two actually helpful ones.

If you're looking for 'friends'(like the type of friends the people who go on Xfactor and embarrass themselves have... 'Yeah! You're fantastic!'), go for it! You'll be adored.
And, imagine you won! You could stick a 5*****'s onto the end of that! Good times!
I won't reopen any accounts there, a waste of my time. Sorry, Andy, been there - done that - binned the T-shirt.

Henry Blewer

I agree. NWDA's contest was great fun and I learned from it. I'd like to be in another one. Especially since I found out why the land in my entry looked so gray, and I can use the Deep Edition.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

RichTwo

Let me help clarify a little.  The Renderosity rules of the upcoming challenge concerning the Gallery posting of WIPs and anonymity are no different than the other two currently in progress.  Both have been running fairly well since their inception several years ago.  Not to say there won't be the occasional entrant who will go ahead and post his / her entry in the gallery.  In that case, we moderators / coordinators will handle it accordingly.  We will be happy to answer any question that arises.

Gosh, dandelO - how do you really feel? ;)  Actually, I know well of your point about the "fan club" mentality, but other than being mildly annoying, there's nothing harmful about it.  Renderosity by no means encourages it, but it's no violation of their Terms of Service.  And commenting is not possible in the Challenges.  Oh, I still have my T-shirt, by the way...
They're all wasted!

Seth

Quote from: Rich2 on November 11, 2009, 12:19:38 PM
In that case, we moderators / coordinators will handle it accordingly.

aaaah yes I know one or two of you !!!
I received 2 or 3 WARNING messages telling me not to give negative comments on some renders ! I was so 'tupid to give advices to guys that received more than 5 pages of "WOW 5*" at each renders they post :D
i thought they wanted to improve their skills not to be ass-licked clean and deep ^^

Kadri

Quote from: Seth on November 11, 2009, 01:22:15 PM
Quote from: Rich2 on November 11, 2009, 12:19:38 PM
In that case, we moderators / coordinators will handle it accordingly.

aaaah yes I know one or two of you !!!
I received 2 or 3 WARNING messages telling me not to give negative comments on some renders ! I was so 'tupid to give advices to guys that received more than 5 pages of "WOW 5*" at each renders they post :D
i thought they wanted to improve their skills not to be ass-licked clean and deep ^^

LOL ;D

Kevin F

Quote from: Kevin F on November 10, 2009, 05:21:02 PM
Quote from: AndyWelder on November 10, 2009, 03:02:04 PM

What's the point of anonymity if you can post WIP's?

No one has yet answered this!

RichTwo

Yes, Kevin - let's stick to the subject.  As Andy said: you may post a WIP in the Gallery.  If your Challenge entry is exactly the same, it's disqualified.  If your Challenge entry looks too much like it, it's disqualified.

I've entered Renderosity's challenges numerous times - and a few times a member has guessed my entry by the style.  I do not think there's any guarantee of complete anonymity for anyone.  We will endeavor to keep it as fair as we can.  So far there have been no incidences where an entrant was obviously identifiable.

I hope that is the answer you were seeking.
They're all wasted!

Kevin F

Quote from: Rich2 on November 11, 2009, 03:33:53 PM
Yes, Kevin - let's stick to the subject.  As Andy said: you may post a WIP in the Gallery.  If your Challenge entry is exactly the same, it's disqualified.  If your Challenge entry looks too much like it, it's disqualified.

I've entered Renderosity's challenges numerous times - and a few times a member has guessed my entry by the style.  I do not think there's any guarantee of complete anonymity for anyone.  We will endeavor to keep it as fair as we can.  So far there have been no incidences where an entrant was obviously identifiable.

I hope that is the answer you were seeking.

ermm we'll see!

FrankB

The NWDA competition was a panel / jury competition. That allowed people to post WIP's of their complete work whenever and wherever they wished. No need for anonymity.
I don't think that I'm mistaken in saying that people were seeming to enjoy that type of contest. A couple entries evolved from "good" to "outstanding" during the process of WIP's and feedback.

My hope is that other TG2 contests would copy that format, I really think it's more fun that way.

Just my 2 cents, you guys just keep doing what you deem best :)

Frank