Another render error

Started by Hannes, November 30, 2009, 05:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

At the moment I am rendering an image with a lot of objects. I reduced the subdivision cache to 100, checked "preallocate subdivision cache". I don't get messages like "an error accured in a render thread". Fine. But I'm getting half finished buckets like in my example. I know this has been mentioned before. Is it a bug or something else? Btw there is only one population left in the image. Any suggestions?

Kadri

What are the dimensions Hannes? . Maybe you have to render in crops.

Kadri.

Hannes

Thanks for your advice, Kadri. Believe me, I DO render in crops... hundreds of crops!!! This is really annoying. No matter what I do, I always get these incomplete buckets. Since they appear at different places each time I render parts of it over and over again. Then I try to put the complete bits and pieces together like a puzzle.
They seem to appear mainly at parts of my tree that are closer to the camera. Is there some kind of clipping, I don't know about?

Hannes

Btw, restarting TG and even rebooting didn't work either!

jo

Hi Hannes,

There were some problems with parts of populations very close to the camera clipping which have been fixed for the next release. If you can email me a project file and the model then I could check to see if this is what your problem is. My email address is:

jomeder@planetside.co.uk

Please zip everything up. If it's much over 10 MB it would be better if you can upload it somewhere and send me a link. If the model is an Xfrog one from one of their libraries just let me know which model from which set and I'll be able to get it myself instead of you having to send it. Same deal if it's a free model off the web, just let me know where I can download it myself.

Regards,

Jo

Kadri

Quote from: jo on November 30, 2009, 07:27:03 AM
Hi Hannes,

There were some problems with parts of populations very close to the camera clipping which have been fixed for the next release. ...

Regards,
Jo

I am getting curious more and more on the new build. Hope this helps you Hannes  :)

Kadri.

Hannes

Thank you, Jo. Good to hear about the next release. The problem is, that only the model of my hero tree, which I made, has more than 300 MB! Then there are some other objects, mainly plants here from the file section. Thanks for your help anyway, Jo. I think I'll try to get this thing finished and wait for the next release! ;)

Kadri

Hannes just a thought but can you try a render with the camera far away to cropped to the view you want.
I mean if it is a clipping problem who knows maybe it will help ?

Kadri.

Hannes

Maybe that would help, but I already had rendered heavy parts of the scene, so I would have to redo the whole thing.

Hannes

Funny! I just rendered the same part like before, now in "quick render" mode and everything is there. Strange!

tempaccount

My causes for unfinished buckets are always running out of render memory, reducing detail will help with this.

I don't know if that's the case in here, though - I always get render errors when I get unfinished buckets :p

Hannes

OK, I'm continuing my monologue:
THIS IS REALLY STRANGE!! I now used the standard quick render settings, only changed detail to 0.5, AA to 9, GI blur radius to 4, and the ray detail region to "detail in camera" to make the crops match each other. The same settings like before! I only did not check "preallocate subdivision cache" and left the cache at 400.

Everything went fine. No missing buckets. ???
I don't know what to say to that.

Henry Blewer

I never use the pre-allocate subdivision cache. I tried it on an older build. The this set the rener took 1 1/2 hours longer. I was using the free version.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Hannes

Yes, I know, but it was one of the advices to prevent errors in a render thread.

Oshyan

A couple of things to consider. First, the Quick Render uses exactly the same rendering system as the normal render. The only difference is in the settings. So this should not make any difference at all *with equivalent settings*.

Second, preallocate subdiv cache is useful if you want to prevent memory-related errors from showing up late in the render. It does not *prevent* errors by any means. All it does is make any possible errors show up earlier. What is interesting is that if your scene doesn't necessarily need a large render cache, preallocating may actually make your render use *more* memory. This would probably be a rare case, and usually only happen if you are using particularly large cache sizes, but it's possible, and something to keep in mind.

I'm curious as to the details of your scene and system. Did you determine memory was an issue *before* setting the render cache so small? How many threads are you rendering with? Have you tried just 1 thread and do you get the same problems? How much memory do you actually have?

- Oshyan