Underwaterworld

Started by Dune, November 30, 2009, 08:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

And now for something completely different... and more brewing, because I want it more realistic.

---Dune

DJ

The sea bottom and the POV are quite good!
The "atmosphere" (=water) could be improved...

DJ

dandelO

Very nice, Dune. I like this a lot. I've done a couple of fake UW scenes before, I'll revisit them at some point, or maybe just start afresh.

Nice render. I like what appears to be fake caustic light on the tall grasses. Is that just powerfractal colour?

*EDIT: I now see the caustics all over the ground, too.

Kadri

Nice render .
Dune if you take the sun a little more at the top it would maybe look more like under water .
The light looks like it comes from straight left.
One of the sides of the fishes is to much dark... in my opinion of course  :)
But lighting this kind of scene is really difficult in itself .

Kadri.

Dune

Well, I took the caustics out. I couldn't get them blurred enough to my taste. I'm playing with another one now, which seems much better (I see it rendering on my other machine now, very exciting). I like subtle light, a little mysterious. I also made some more 'underwater plants' and some jellyfish to float around. Wait and see, guys...

---Dune

Seth

maybe some fat atmo... because it looks like flying fishes right now ;)

Dune

I know, just wait and see the next one...

Seth

i know i won't be disappointed :)

Henry Blewer

I did something very like this using blender. I used a voronoi noise fractal on all the surfaces. The scale has to be the same on everything. This made the light beaming through the waves. A strong mist effect was also used to make the water/air denser.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

littlecannon

Nice idea... I might be splitting hairs here (and I might be wrong), but do you have marine fish and fresh water fish together?
Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

ra

A good start, I really like underwater scenes. Light from above and increased Haze could have a   very positive effect on the scene. I especially like the ground!
Mouthwash? We don't need no stinking mouthwash!! [MI2]
See what I see: www.earthlings.com
http://dinjai.deviantart.com

Dune

@njeneb: I used a voronoi to have some light effect, but found it too harsh. I think slightly blurred light would be better. I don't know if you can blur the voronoi.
@ra: Waking up this morning I thought that underwater light would primarily come from quite straight above, so I immediately changed that.
@littlecannon: Indeed, you are right. I may be a biologist, but I've never been interested in fish. But you're absolutely right. I'll find some marine species for environmental sake. But for the next render it'll be the blackbass. Thanks for mentioning!

---Dune

Henry Blewer

The voronoi can be softened by rendering with and then without it. Load the two images onto different layers in a photo processor, then just merge them when they are looking right.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

@njeneb: that's too much hassle, IMO. I'll be looking for another solution.

Meantime, another render with the same tgd. I'm not terribly enthusiastic, but it's getting there. The blackbass are still here.

Dune

And I made another setup from scratch. Still a WIP, but I like this method with an inverted water plane better. The other water surface was made of a thin but dense cloud layer, good enough for very deep water, but this is much nicer. Still more to add to this basic scene. Perhaps some glassy jellyfish I just made...

---Dune