Eratic Mouse Pointer. T2.1

Started by MGebhart, December 18, 2009, 01:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGebhart

Hi,

While doing a final render my mouse pointer tends to jump around. This happens randomly during the render. It tends to happen during (I'm guessing) heavy render calculations.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Marc
Marc Gebhart

buzzzzz1

Not here, but there is good news! It won't be doing this the Night before Christmas.  ;)
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

FrankB

reckon it's more a hardware/driver issue than have anything to do with TG2 itself, other than that the sparse remaining cpu cycles while rendering may get your mouse driver go gaga ;D

I haven't seen this happening here, though

neuspadrin

its planetsides fix to the previous bug where you could move your mouse to speed up populations and various other dialogs ;) they just automate it for you ;).

jk... sounds more like a hardware issue.  mice do die after awhile.  mine started going wonky earlier this year so i bought a nice new one problem solved.  Usually starts going wrong way occasionally, sometimes doesn't register a click when it should, sometimes registered clicks when it shouldnt, etc.  Easiest test is to put it on another computer and see if its still screwy.  then you know 100% sure its a mouse issue.

MGebhart

neuspadrin,

I just tried your suggestion, no go. This only started and happened when rendering in T2 2.1.

I'm downloading new drivers now.

Thank you everyone.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

nixx

Don't worry about it; it's normal.

From what I can tell, there is a change in rendering in v2.1 indeed: TG2 now "hammers" the CPU more aggressively (which is a really, really good thing). In Windows (and other OS's as well), by default, the "active" window gets multitasking priority. So when the rendering window is in front/in focus and "active", there will be very few CPU cycles available for your mouse driver (or anything else, for that matter).
Simple solution is to click once somewhere outside the render window or the TG2 interface (like the desktop, for example). Then the OS will focus on that, and give the rendering window lower priority. But don't worry, it won't slow down that much, at least for simple operations like internet browsing, etc - I do it all the time while waiting for previews.

The same thing happens with many CPU-intensive applications/operations, and especially with modern input devices that use "heavier" drivers and resources. Pen tablets, in particular, are notoriously affected in such cases.
I 'm child, and man, then child again; the boy never gets older

MGebhart

Marc Gebhart

Oshyan

Quote from: nixx on December 19, 2009, 12:11:10 AM
Don't worry about it; it's normal.

From what I can tell, there is a change in rendering in v2.1 indeed: TG2 now "hammers" the CPU more aggressively (which is a really, really good thing). In Windows (and other OS's as well), by default, the "active" window gets multitasking priority. So when the rendering window is in front/in focus and "active", there will be very few CPU cycles available for your mouse driver (or anything else, for that matter).
Simple solution is to click once somewhere outside the render window or the TG2 interface (like the desktop, for example). Then the OS will focus on that, and give the rendering window lower priority. But don't worry, it won't slow down that much, at least for simple operations like internet browsing, etc - I do it all the time while waiting for previews.

The same thing happens with many CPU-intensive applications/operations, and especially with modern input devices that use "heavier" drivers and resources. Pen tablets, in particular, are notoriously affected in such cases.
Oddly enough the change to the rendering display method was actually part of adjustments to make the UI *more* responsive during rendering. So if that's not the case it's definitely something we need to look into.

- Oshyan

Kevin F

Oddly enough the change to the rendering display method was actually part of adjustments to make the UI *more* responsive during rendering. So if that's not the case it's definitely something we need to look into.

- Oshyan
[/quote]

I can confirm this Oshyan. I find the UI much more responsive during renders. I can pause or stop instantly where as previously it could take several minutes to get the render to stop/pause either via mouse or keys.

Oshyan

Yep Kevin, that was the intention. Glad to hear it seems to have worked for you. Are others having different experiences?

- Oshyan

Henry Blewer

I have a problem with large renders and the sub divide cache. I'll post it when I have looked into updating the Visual C++ from Microsoft, and maybe the processor dlls may have something to do with it.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Thelby

Quote from: njeneb on December 21, 2009, 08:39:15 AM
I have a problem with large renders and the sub divide cache. I'll post it when I have looked into updating the Visual C++ from Microsoft, and maybe the processor dlls may have something to do with it.

I concur with that. I had 4 render crashes with my last image all the errors were Visual C++. I finally rendered at 1024x758 and it completed.

Henry Blewer

I started a new thread in the support area about this.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=8340.0

It seems to be a problem with the 32 bit OS exceeding the 2 GB limit according to Jo. The good new is that there is a beautiful landscape there for everyone to use! ;D
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T