Mesa now in higher resolution (Updated)

Started by Hannes, December 21, 2009, 05:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ndeewolfwood

i m very curious about your terrain setup...is it possible to see a network screenshot please ?

inkydigit

agree with Bob, this is most excellent, I too am curious about your terrain/displacement set up....looking forward to the hi-res!

Hannes

OK, I'll post it, when the render is ready. I hope you won't be disappointed, because I didn't really know what I was doing. This node stuff is really a little bit too abstract for me. I like to work intentionally, and that's what I did. I added a bit of this and a bit of that, deleted something, and in the end I had something, but I don't know exactly how.

First I used different power fractals with different scales in the terrain tab. One of them with a stretched noise. I also used a crater shader with negative displacement to get the tower shape. I moved it below the other displacements to make it more irregular. I then wanted to distort only the "tower" a little more, so I created a new surface layer, made it completely red to distinguish it from the other shaders. I used a distribution shader and a distance shader to modify only the tower with a little bit of twist and shear and strata shaders. I then moved this shader below the others, so the displacement remained but the (kind of override) red colour wasn't visible anymore.
When I was adding the first fake stones shader I accidentally typed in a ridiculously high value, which gave me another nice deformation and colorization right in front of the tower.

For the colours I use a power fractal image function additionally to the colour itself most of the time. Usually I start with a grey surface layer, then I add a more brownish layer with less coverage, and then I add whatever fits my needs.

Adding plants wasn't very difficult. The generous people in this friendly forum provide us with everything we need. Thank you all!!!
I hope that I can contribute something in the future.

schmeerlap

Wonderfully textured and stratified landscape. Though the size of that Medusa tree is jarring with my sense of proportions too. Putting that scaling issue aside, this is an excellent render.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Henry Blewer

I use huge fake stones quite often to make the terrain more varied. It's a great technique. You have done a great job, I look forward to the larger render!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

domdib

Great displacements, and really love the lighting.

GioMez

Stunning.. really!
I love everything in this image!

buzzzzz1

Extremely realistic scene, especially the Lighting and shadows. Everything looks superb but I think I would forget the hero tree and add a little breakup and and/or displacement to the strata.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Hannes

OK OK OK, right now the last quarter of the high res version is rendering. WITH the hero tree.
BUT I decided to render an even higher resolution render with some improvements regarding the details WITHOUT the tree afterwards. I have to think what can be the eyecatcher or the scale reference instead.
It's always a problem for me to break up the strata. Whenever I use a power fractal as a blend shader I get the strata broken up but also some nasty displacement, even if I uncheck the displacement.

FrankB

Quote from: Hannes on December 22, 2009, 12:11:30 PM
Whenever I use a power fractal as a blend shader I get the strata broken up but also some nasty displacement, even if I uncheck the displacement.

...that's because the displacement is ignored when you use a power fractal as  a blend shader. Only the color information of  the power fractal is interpreted as a mask. If you have displacement artifacts, then you need to reduce the color roughness and maybe the color contrast.

Cheers,
Frank

Hannes

Thanks for your reply, Frank, but it's a bit confusing. I want the displacement to be ignored and I want the color information to be interpreted as a mask. Maybe I didn't get you right, but anyway I'll see what I can do.

pfrancke

top notch TG image.  I'm looking forward to the next cut!!

Hannes

OK, here is the 3600 px version. No other changes yet. (For some reason I couldn't upload the image unzipped  ???)
http://www.terragen.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-6136

Kadri

WOW ! Thanks for the big version , Hannes  :)

Kadri.

ndeewolfwood

wow thanks...for the high resolution...it's rocks
the strata on the main moutain are maybe too "hard"...but it's just a detail

can you render it 2x bigger again and again and again...... ;D i wan to see every details...i m sure there's a coyote in the background.