Going 64 bit

Started by Henry Blewer, December 23, 2009, 12:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Blewer

I have been thinking about taking my computer to 64 bits. 4 GB does not seem to be enough memory. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

RArcher

Going to a 64bit windows OS will allow you to use around 3.7gb of RAM with the current 32bit TG2.  Whenever the 64 bit version of TG2 is finished, you should then be able to use as much RAM as your computer can handle.

Hannes

How much faster is TG when running on a 64bit Windows using the full 3.7 GB RAM compared to a 32 bit Windows without the 3GB switch?

RArcher

As far as I am aware it should not be faster at all.  The amount of RAM available should not affect speed, simply the amount of data you can put into a scene whether it is the max size of the render or dozens of populations or huge image masks etc.

Henry Blewer

I think I may just go ahead and do this. I have been thinking about re-installing anyway. I have accumulated a lot of junk since I installed Vista.

choronr

Quote from: njeneb on December 23, 2009, 12:28:29 PM
I have been thinking about taking my computer to 64 bits. 4 GB does not seem to be enough memory. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
Shortly after the first of the year, I'll be loading Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit update (was Vista Ultimate 32 bit) and adding 8 GB of RAM (was 4 GB of RAM). Hopefully, this will smooth things out when building new scenes with lots of populations. Additionally, my 19" Samsung 204B monitor (2-1/2 years old) is beginning to take a long time to awake. It flickers and remains dark for about three minutes before brightening. I suspect the inverter and/or fluorescent tubes are going out.  Will replace it with a 24" Samsung.

Zairyn Arsyn

i have 4gigs of ram and when i switched to 64bit windows i did'nt notice any render speed increase either, just no render thread/bucket errors. :)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

reck

I don't think there is any good reason not to go 64 bit nowadays is there?

Windows 7 and 64bit are a good combination.

Kadri

Search for your drivers. Sometimes there can be problems with drivers in 64 bit Windows .
Because of lack of new ones. I had no problems scanner , printer , webcam and so . All of them was recognized with windows 7 64 smoothly .

If you have 2 or more HD drives  you can switch in bios and try the new OS on the other drive.
If you have problems you can go to the old one with switching in bios again. I use it this way now.
I have not installed all programs on Windows 7 64 yet . So i switch sometimes. I don't like Vista but i am not going to wipe it out... just in case  :)

Cheers.

Kadri.

Henry Blewer

Thanks guys. I thought I had the 64 bit version available, but I only have the 32 bit. I re-installed today (I am still getting things reloaded and updated). I freed up about 100 GB of C drive. ::) I am running Advanced System Care now (IOBit). When that's done, I'll change the 3GB user value and re-install Terragen2. I won't be installing much more. Windows 7 64 bit is on the priority list.

Oshyan

64 bit is worthwhile even if you only have 4GB of RAM. You'll be able to fully utilize all your RAM with a 64 bit OS, whereas with a 32 bit Windows OS you simply can't.

- Oshyan

Henry Blewer

You're right Oshyan. I re-installed he 32 bit Vista, and reset the 3GB address value. It freed up lots of HD space, but the max memory is only 3024 MB.
I will have to stick with smaller render sizes. But with the speed/thread issues I have this may not be so bad (for a while).

TheBlackHole

"Sticking with smaller render sizes" is a good idea. Then I might not have to wait 20 minutes for a new window to open.
And if you want a 64-bit OS, see if there's a 64-bit version of XP somewhere. Then VistaMize it. With VistaMizer, I had to set my screensaver so it would remind me I'm running XP!
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

penang

Quote from: TheBlackHole on December 24, 2009, 01:52:04 PMAnd if you want a 64-bit OS, see if there's a 64-bit version of XP somewhere. Then VistaMize it. With VistaMizer, I had to set my screensaver so it would remind me I'm running XP!
Regarding Vistamizer, do you know that version 3.6 came out on Christmas eve?

TheBlackHole

Didn't know that! Might try it if I need to shut the thing down. I mean the computer. I usually leave it on all night.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?