Frustration Abounds

Started by Thelby, December 28, 2009, 01:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thelby

This is the second image I have created using TG2.1 and just like the first image it has crashed while rendering. I don't mind long renders, but I do mind it crashing at 82% complete and after over 16 hours of rendering that is now lost.
http://www.arkbark.com/images/Render_Errors_12-28-09.jpg
And how am I supposed to upload the .tgd file so you can take a look at it?????

cyphyr

Its just a guess but looking at your image I'd say your render settings were a little too high. Try the scene again with detail set at about 0.7 and AA at 5. Also try dropping your cloud samples down to below 256. You can always "up" the settings later but its better to start with something workable :)

You can add images and TGD's by clicking on the "Additional Options" to the bottom left of the text entry box.

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Thelby

Detail is .9
AA is 7
Both GI at 3
Cloud samples 227
Atmo Samples 125

Henry Blewer

Go to the Microsoft website. There is a way to kick 32 bit OS XP and Vista over the 2 GB program ram default. This may help. Search 3 GB switch. I do not know the XP version.

In Vista run the Command Prompt as administrator. Type   'bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072' This will give your large aware address programs (like T2) more RAM to use.

This worked for me. I also re-installed Vista to clear all the junk I had running. Re-Installing was easier than editing hundreds of reg. entries.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

cyphyr

I can only see two very small (not even) errors. There's no camera indicated in the distance shader and the atmosphere usually plugs into the cloud layer (not the other way round). I don't think either of these are the issue here. Likely njeneb is on the right track and its a memory issue, but even then you don't seem to have huge populations. maybe its the imported terrain, have you rendered the same scene with a different (try procedural) terrain and also try rendering without all of the objects and start adding them to see where the error starts.
Good luck
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Tangled-Universe

I only have seen these errors related to memory issues, so that would be my guess as well.
Though no huge populations and much shaders/displacements might be used, it still can consume quite some memory, especially when rendering with GI set at 3/3.

Martin

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I know it's just a work around solution, but you could try rendering "crop regions" (break up the render in 4 regions and then combine them in a photo editing program.

Thelby

I Appreciate all the consultations I Assure You!!!  ;D
I have a Q6600 Quad Core with 4 GBs of RAM. Vista Home Premium 64bit. I have wanted to max it to 8 GBs RAM for awhile.
QuoteThere's no camera indicated in the distance shader
I do not even know what that means! What distant shader are you reffering to???
Quotethe atmosphere usually plugs into the cloud layer (not the other way round).
That is odd, because I just added the clouds to the atmo some time ago and keep using the same ones over and over and tweaking it a bit.
Quoteit still can consume quite some memory, especially when rendering with GI set at 3/3.
I thought GI 3/3 was a good standard, is it not for this type scene?
Thank You Much for your Help!!!

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Thelby on December 28, 2009, 05:24:51 PM
I Appreciate all the consultations I Assure You!!!  ;D
I have a Q6600 Quad Core with 4 GBs of RAM. Vista Home Premium 64bit. I have wanted to max it to 8 GBs RAM for awhile.
QuoteThere's no camera indicated in the distance shader
I do not even know what that means! What distant shader are you reffering to???
Quotethe atmosphere usually plugs into the cloud layer (not the other way round).
That is odd, because I just added the clouds to the atmo some time ago and keep using the same ones over and over and tweaking it a bit.
Quoteit still can consume quite some memory, especially when rendering with GI set at 3/3.
I thought GI 3/3 was a good standard, is it not for this type scene?
Thank You Much for your Help!!!

Normally it is no problem to have a camera applied to your distance shaders, because by default it uses your rendercamera.

As Richard said I think as well that the order in which you connect atmosphere and clouds are not important.

I think for a scene like this GI 2/2 would really suffice. You could go for a bit more sampling (GI 2/3 or 2/4 for example) to improve quality.
The RAM-consumer is the detail.
I even think for a scene like this GI 1/2 or 1/3 should be ok, since there's quite much direct light. I normally think "the less direct light, the more shadows, the better GI I need"...sort of :)