Broken Displacements

Started by Linda McCarthy, January 05, 2010, 04:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linda McCarthy

First, my apologies to those of you who downloaded my Wild Shroom file, only to find it not working properly. 
I am posting the image and file here, so I can learn and benefit from your expertise.
Thanks to Frank, who let me know about the problem and suggested I post my render and file here.
Thanks for the support!
Linda

Matt

Linda, Frank,

What appears to be the problem here, and how can we help?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

I see that the cracks are much larger at the top of the rock. The texture coordinates will stretch out because the ground has been displaced upwards and outwards by the mushroom shaped rock, so that will stretch the cracks. You might be able to avoid this by putting your mushroom displacement before the Compute Terrain and your cracks after the Compute Terrain, and the patch size of the Compute Terrain needs to be small enough to adequately represent the shape of the mushroom.

Frank, I know you looked at this and tried making some changes already, so is there something you think might not be working correctly?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

FrankB

Hi Matt,

Linda placed the displacement after the compute terrain, and I thought that would be the trouble, and re-ordered the nodes, so that all happens before the compute terrain.

Linda's scene works in the following way. She takes a simple procedural terrain. Then based on a min altitude, she adds another power fractal with an offset displacement, which creates the mushroom shape.
However, the cracks that you see are no cracks. There is no other significant displacement function other than the power fractal that displaces with an offset, with a min altitude constraint.

There are 2 issues:
1 - If I put everything before the compute terrain, the mushroom won't appear, because the renderer seems to think that the terrain is still a perfect sphere, with normals facing away from the center of the planet.
2 - If I create the fractal terrain, add compute terrain 1, then add a distribution shader with the altitude constraint and the mushroom powerfractal child, then compute terrain 2, I will get the mushroom shape, but TG2 will not render large patches of the terrain correctly anymore. This is waht makes these cracks. If you get the camera closer to these cracks, the renderer starts choking and will progress very slowly, with black patch areas.

I've attached the tgd and how I re-ordered the terrain.

Regards;
Frank

Linda McCarthy

Hi Matt & Frank,

I want to thank you both for working on resolving the problems with the broken displacements.
Beased on what you've said here and in the image forum, I will work on this and see if I can't come up with a smooth shroom shape.  I like what look like "cracks" but the cool shroom shape needs to be able to be seen from different angles without the mess I have now.
Who knows, I may learn something, after all.  ;) 

Thanks again,
Linda

ps.. Will take a look at the revised file tonight, Frank.  Thanks for taking your time to help!