Sphere Populations Still Not Working with the New Build?

Started by moodflow, January 05, 2010, 10:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

Hi all!  Its been quite some time since I've last posted, but I wanted to know if anyone is having problems with populations of spheres?  In my case, I cannot get them to render (except for the center sphere).

Any ideas?
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Dune

Tangled-Universe

Kevin F

Yep I agree, but I can get the bounding boxes to appear (in mid air and in a disc like orbit) yet no sphere in final render!
see pic.

GioMez

I tried as soon as I read this topic.
I have tried to uncheck "Ray trace objects", but after the GI pass the renderer freezes (I mean: timer continues, but nothing happens)

mindsap

Once a King always a King but once a night is enough...

jo

Hi,

The sphere doesn't work with populations and there hasn't been anything done to make it work yet. If there had it would have been in the change log.

Regards,

Jo

Henry Blewer

I use imported sphere objects. They are nice for checking lighting effects.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

senji

Quote from: njeneb on January 06, 2010, 03:51:44 PM
I use imported sphere objects. They are nice for checking lighting effects.

I agree with njeneb.  I got so fed up with this quirk, that I decided to go back to blender and make one myself.  By the way, FREE blender has been updated to 2.5 and looks really slick now!  Download it and make whatever kinds of objects you want to import into Terragen [using Lightwave .obj as menu item choice].  Here's my simple .tgd file for when you get around to making a simple sphere yourself.  Takes only 15 seconds to quick render.

jo

Hi,

I not 100% sure, but I believe the reason the spheres can't be populated is that they're procedural rather than polygonal.  Discs have the same problem. We should probably remove these primitives from the Population submenu until we have populatable versions.

Regards,

Jo

Henry Blewer

They are useful as water (discs) and to get a feel for scale (spheres). I move a sphere around to see how large something should be. I would just add a warning that they are not for population use at this time.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

jo

Hi njeneb,

I was just talking about removing them from the Population submenu, not the Object one.

Regards,

Jo

FrankB

what about making them work in populations, instead? ;)
I can think of many use cases where a working sphere population would just be awesome!

Cheers,
Frank

jo

Hi Frank,

Ok, I'm feeling cranky and taking issue with people's reading comprehension today. First njeneb and now you ;-). I said:

We should probably remove these primitives from the Population submenu until we have populatable versions.

So they would be removed (easy) and stop confusing people until the Populator can work with them (less easy).

So there! :-)

Actually it looks like I was wrong about the spheres being procedural, they seem to be polygonal after all, so there must be some other reason they don't work.

Regards,

Jo

FrankB

I just read your last post where you replied to njeneb, sorry :)