lightwave chan file export done!

Started by Thejazzshadow, January 08, 2010, 11:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

The line endings are CR, not CRLF. I thought TG2's importer was OK with CR line endings, but perhaps not.

I don't know LScript, but the code uses "\n" so I would expect that to be CRLF if you export on Windows. If you're on the Mac then maybe it's just CR, but in that case TG2 on the Mac should be able to import with just CR.

What OS did you export and import on?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Thejazzshadow

Matt

It looks like Terragen 2 on Mac OS X is expecting the LF character (which is the standard newline character on OS X and Linux), but LScript on the Mac still writes the CR character which was the standard on Mac OS 9.

I wonder if there's some way to get the LScript to treat "\n" as LF instead of CR.

Matt

nixx

I 'll try to modify the script to work with LF (Line Feed, right ?) instead of \n (Carriage Return). I 'll see if I can have it up by tonight.
I 'm child, and man, then child again; the boy never gets older

nixx

Ok, please try this one. I dropped the "\n" (which were left over from the original script, I never use \n anyway) and modified it with what should be line feeds instead.
Also, this latest version should have no problems with exporting lots of frames (500+) on slower machines with low RAM (the previous version would "complain" ;))

Let me know if this does it.

Thejazzshadow

I tried it and it is still doing the same thing. It does the first frame (green numbers) and the rest are blue and the same values as the first frame. The chan file still looks fine in text editor.

nixx

Can you strip your LW scene file from its content, keeping only its camera move, and send it to me ? Since the script works for everyone else who's tried it, maybe yours is a rare case which I 'd like to look into.

Thejazzshadow

Here it is. Has it been conformed that this has worked for mac users?

nixx

Quote from: Thejazzshadow on January 18, 2010, 04:05:40 PM
Here it is. Has it been conformed that this has worked for mac users?

No, I forgot about the "mac" part, sorry. I 'll see if it can be fixed.

Update : Try again please. I don't have access to a mac so you 'll have to do the testing, sorry :(

edit : attachment removed (didn't work)

Thejazzshadow

Doesn't work yet. I also tried baking the motion just in case but there is still the same problem. I assume you've read the above posts on what the problem is?

nixx

Quote from: Thejazzshadow on January 18, 2010, 06:00:46 PM
Not yet. I assume you've read the above posts on what the problem is.

Well there wouldn't be much point in making blind modifications, would there ;)

Last try : This one does not work right in Windows, but it might on your mac. I 've now tried all combinations of LF, CRLF and CR (this one). It's a long shot, but give it a try.

Edit : Another one bites the dust. Latest working version, 6 posts up (so far 100% functional on Windows only).

Thejazzshadow

Sorry but it is still not working. :(
Something that I just noticed, the original plugin was done on mac.

nixx

That shouldn't make any difference. I have tried both the original coder's way of creating the output file and my own. Did the original plugin work right for you ?

Matt

Quote from: nixx on January 18, 2010, 06:09:54 PM
Last try : This one does not work right in Windows, but it might on your mac. I 've now tried all combinations of LF, CRLF and CR (this one). It's a long shot, but give it a try.

I would think CRLF or LF is expected by TG2 on both Windows and OS X, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Jazzshadow, does it work if you just copy the lines from one chan file into a brand new file? Perhaps you can download a text editor that can show you the newline characters so that you can test which modifications to the .chan file will work. I don't have access to my Mac at the moment so I can't try it. Once we know which combinations work, we can find out why none of nixx's versions of the script worked so far.

Matt

nixx

Matt, so far I tried LF, CR and CRLF, none worked for Jazzshadow.
Let's try to get to the bottom of this, I wouldn't want to leave this only half-functional ! I 'll be around keeping an eye out, but in the meantime, if you nail it, give me a shout and we 'll try again ASAP.