New PC arrives Tuesday (weather permitting) Woooo!!

Started by cyphyr, January 09, 2010, 05:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Well at last my replacement PC is on its way.
It should arrive Tuesday if I or the delivery firm are not snowed in!
I orded a base system and will just drop my existing hard disks, cd/dvd/rom and graphics card in and off I go!

Hers the spec:
intel i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core processor + coolermaster heatsink
6GB 1333MHz 1.5Volt DDR3 RAM
Intel X58 Micro ATX Pro Motherboard 8 Channel HD Audio + Coaxial and Optical S/PDIFF out
Black ATX Gaming Tower Case
700 Watt PSU suitable (1 x 6pin PCI-E)
12 Months Warranty

All for £469

Cant wait its been really frustrating not having any render power.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

You will *love* the i7! I suggest using 8 render threads and 100MB per thread cache (800MB total cache) unless you run into memory issues on a particular scene, in which case you can try 50MB per thread (400MB cache), or reducing to 4 threads instead of 8. But 8 threads really flies...

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Only 469 GBP?
Djeez man, I pay ~600 euros only for motherboard, i7 860 (similar priced to your 920), 8GB RAM and an alternative cooler.
Sounds like a really good deal!

Henry Blewer

Nice system! I am happy for you. (and jealous, but I'll be there by August  :P)

Anyway, this will really help give your creativity more time for expression. That is absolutely fantastic!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

cyphyr

Well its here, ripped the guts out of the old system (graphics card, Hard disks etc) gave it a fresh install of Vista and ... .. . well it works.

Um, not quite sure what's going on here but I loaded up the default Terragen scene from 3DSpeedMachine and gave it a render.

On my last rig, Q9450 2.66Ghz the scene rendered in 16m 5s, on my new rig, i7 920, it renders in 18m 23s :( Not good, I was expecting results nearer the 7m or 8m mark as have been posted by some Terragen users with similar setups. Must be doing something wrong.

Ok so maybe they overclocked their set-ups (the 3DSpeedMachine site has no provision for noting overclocks). After much fiddling about I figured out how to overclock my 2.66Ghz to 4Ghz (wasn't that hard ;) ) and made another render, this one came in at 12m 19s, better but still nothing like the performance I was hoping for.

Must be dooing something wrong. Has the scene been changed since I made my old benchmark, I doubt it.

It cirtainly seems faster, especially in OC'd mode and I gues one of the big issues with that scene in particular is that no matter what your set-up the reflective black sphere on the water is a render killer and it gets stuck on just one thread. (dl the scene, you'll see ;) )

I'll have to dive further into the Overlocking aspects and see if I cant get some improvements, also will try using 8 threads, might help ... .. .
All in all not as impressed as I was hopping for :(
Oh well :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

TheBlackHole

See if it renders faster on XP or Win7. I've heard Vista takes up tons of memory for no reason whatsoever.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Henry Blewer

This 'lack of speed' may be a result of the motherboards bus speed. It may also depend on the RAM clock speed and the RAM controller. Vista has a terrible way of talking to itself. It does all sorts of 'I'm here, you here?' checks. Windows Defender is also notorious for using up CPU cycles. If you use the full version of AVG, or a similar Firewall/Virus scanner, most of Windows Defender can be turned off; Defender becomes redundant.
When I reset the memory limit that 32 bit programs could use, it curtailed Vista's expansion into the memory space used by other programs. This helped speed up my system, and gave me more memory for things I really want to use it for.

cyphyr

Just tried again at a slightly higher overclock, 4.1Ghz this time together with setting the scene to 8 threads (this cant be used as a Bench Mark comparrison) all of which gave a return of 8.38m. Far closer to what I was hping for. Tomorrow sees the arival of a new HD and a water cooling unit. I'll install win7 together with these and see how it goes.
Richard
ps cant find the multiplyer in the bios of the Mobo (MSI X58M) any sugestions?
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Oshyan

It's almost certainly the thread settings and nothing else. Your CPU's cores may not be detected properly by TG2, so I would set a manual override for 8 threads and setup a default scene wit 800MB cache as well. This will get you max performance. Your benchmark result with 8 threads (regardless of overclocking) is about what it should be.

- Oshyan

Kadri

Cyphyr , how much pieces of ram do you have? The new mainboards can use 3 of them so far i know .
In my old mainboard i used one 2 Gb piece of ram . Then when i put another 2 Gb it became faster.
I am not sure but you have to use 3 pieces of the same ram maybe. Just a thought .

Please don't fry your CPU  :)

Kadri.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Kadri on January 12, 2010, 11:35:04 PM
Cyphyr , how much pieces of ram do you have? The new mainboards can use 3 of them so far i know .
In my old mainboard i used one 2 Gb piece of ram . Then when i put another 2 Gb it became faster.
I am not sure but you have to use 3 pieces of the same ram maybe. Just a thought .

Please don't fry your CPU  :)

Kadri.

I bet he bought a tri-kit of triple-channel memory, consisting of 3 similar ram-modules.
The X58 chipset supports triple-channel memory, so he's fine here in that regard.

I see in Frank's tgd's for example that he uses a minimum of 8 threads and 16 max to force hyperthreading to kick in.
I wasn't sure from your post and Oshyan's whether you used/got advised to use a minimum of 8 threads.

8m28s isn't that bad indeed, but I think you should be able to get around the 6m with a 4.1 GHz OC :)
Hopefully I'll be able to by a similar system in february or march, can't wait, I envy you i7 guys ;D

Henry Blewer

I would be very pleased to have the benchmark scene render in 20 minutes. My machine takes nearly two hours.

Kevin F

Richard, where did you buy your new i7 system from at this price?

Tangled-Universe