Yosemite Valley - V2 on page 2

Started by Tangled-Universe, January 10, 2010, 10:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

The evolutions here are so inspiring ...you are a deliverer of pure enthusiasm!

Tangled-Universe

Hi Domdib,

Here's a small comparison between using a regular surface layer and a displacement intersected surfacelayer.

[attachimg=#]

IMO the version with displacement intersection enabled looks much more realistic. On some parts the grass-layer creeps over rocks where the flat layer does not.
It also gives a stronger idea that the slope restriction is more randomized, (edit) because on some slopes the flat layer has coverage and the intersected does not. (/edit)

Cheers,
Martin

Gannaingh

TU, I would agree with your assessment. While I didn't see much of a difference in your earlier renders I can clearly see that intersect underlying definitely benefits the quality of the scene. Thank you for showing us.

domdib

Yes, it does look more realistic. Is it tricky to get the settings right?

P.S. It's Domdib  :)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: domdib on January 13, 2010, 05:41:45 PM
Yes, it does look more realistic. Is it tricky to get the settings right?

P.S. It's Domdib  :)

Oops sorry, have corrected that ;D

The settings, if its tricky, yes and no. It's tricky to get a hang of the settings, but I've found a ratio between the settings which works in the majority of cases.
So knowing that, it's quite easy to set up. The whole grass-surface took me around half an hour to set up and test this way. If I had to figure it out first I probably would have used a non intersected surfacelayer, since I spent quite some time on finding out the know how.

Dune

Thanks for showing the difference, Martin. I'm convinced.

domdib

Quick question - you mention Double-distance restricted clouds earlier on. How is that done?

FrankB

not sure if that's how Martin has done it, but if you have two distance shaders: one goes from black to white, the other from white to black, and multiply the two, then you get a ring where the two white overlap. This way you can mask out near clouds and far clouds at the same time.

But again, not sure Martin has done this nor even whether that's what you were interested in :D

domdib

That IS what I was interested in, but I've tried fiddling with it (I assume by "Multiply" you mean a "Multiply colour" node), and although at one point I had what seemed to be a ring displaying for the density fractal, the actual render produced clouds that were a completely uniform layer. Any chance of a node shot?

FrankB

domdib

domdib

Aargh! Doesn't seem to work with clouds - at least I can't make it, even though the density fractal window looks as if it's playing ball. I hope Martin will chip in with his thoughts...

Tangled-Universe

Hi Domdib,

I've made an example to show how the restriction works and have attached the .tgd-file for it.

[attach=#]

Hope this will be clear :)

Cheers,
Martin

domdib

That's great! Many thanks, Martin.

FrankB

Martin you should consider to officially declare this a tutorial thread. For anything. ;)