A Beautiful Day - Version 2

Started by FrankB, January 10, 2010, 07:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

choronr

Once again I present this same question: What was your 'Y' dimension for this scene. My biggest problem is getting down to one meter while hunting for that ideal POV.

FrankB

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly, but the grass is out of the box scale. So the camera may be 1 m above the ground or so....

choronr

Quote from: FrankB on January 15, 2010, 01:52:20 AM
I am not sure if I understand your question correctly, but the grass is out of the box scale. So the camera may be 1 m above the ground or so....
Hi Frank, Ok, I start out with a terrain and find a good position; but, I'm too high up and need to get down to one meter. I hit the minus sign on the mouse control. My reading is about 220 meters. I continue with the minus sign on the mouse; but, as I go further, I start getting minus numbers never getting to the approximate one meter in height I'm looking for. I hope that explains it.

FrankB

Bob, you may not have noticed the five small bars directly under the navigation control circle. See picture. Directly below the circle are 5 bars, of which three are dark, 2 are light. Click on any of these bars to set the step size for the controls. To the left is small steps, to the right is bigger steps.

Cheers,
Frank

choronr

Quote from: FrankB on January 15, 2010, 02:09:57 AM
Bob, you may not have noticed the five small bars directly under the navigation control circle. See picture. Directly below the circle are 5 bars, of which three are dark, 2 are light. Click on any of these bars to set the step size for the controls. To the left is small steps, to the right is bigger steps.

Cheers,
Frank
Yes, I use these to either slow down or speed up the transition to what will be the fixed point. These are very handy so you don't overshoot the point you're looking for. I guess what my gripe has been is that I've been having a rough time getting to the lowest part of the ground when trying to prepare a close up scene. I'll use this thread instead of the other to communicate the issue I'm having.

Walli

I guess you have already tried that, but in case not: right click on the terrain, near the area where you want to go. You can copy the coordinates and directly use that for your camera.

choronr

Quote from: Walli on January 15, 2010, 09:05:31 AM
I guess you have already tried that, but in case not: right click on the terrain, near the area where you want to go. You can copy the coordinates and directly use that for your camera.
Hi Walli,

Thank you very much. No, I have not tried that and will do so. I use this method for positioning single object placement; but, never tried it for trying to get closer to the ground.

Bob

inkydigit

very useful, I use this constantly, both for camera and object placement, though on the mac it is ctrl click.

FrankB

Quote from: inkydigit on January 15, 2010, 01:03:40 PM
very useful, I use this constantly, both for camera and object placement, though on the mac it is ctrl click.

... or two finger click on the macbook pro :)

Anyway, I quite like the end result of this render. One little thing that I learned here is to make a better close up rock surface. It's not where I want it to be yet, but I got one little step closer.

Cheers,
Frank

dlefik2008

can't believe i haven't put in my words about this. this is stunning work frank. and that second shot is waaaay much better than the first as far as the surface color. and man, the detail in that surface, and you say it's not where you want it to be? psssht. it's soo good i could just pick up one of them rocks and throw it. very inspirational for a new one as myself. thanks for sharing!  :)

FrankB

thank you very much :)

What I meant is that I had a certain structure in mind for the steep part of that little hill in front of the camera, and that certain look I have not achieved yet. Yes there is a lot of detail, and I too think it looks good, but it's not what I wanted in the first place.

Cheers,
Frank

Mandrake

Good tip Frank, I never used this gizmo until I tried some orbit scenes. Try to move the camera in upper orbit with the keyboard and you move miles and miles, instead of inches. Not fun if you have an obj in front of you your trying to line up on.

Henry Blewer

I was rendering a 1920 x 1080 version of the Pallisades. I need to work on the rock structure in my render also, so I stopped the render. Too much time... 45 hours into the render.
I have also decided to build a Packet boat like they used on the Hudson River. Should look cool.
But anyway, getting the rock to look like layered shale will be a challenge.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Matt

Quote from: Mandrake on January 17, 2010, 07:00:57 AM

Good tip Frank, I never used this gizmo until I tried some orbit scenes. Try to move the camera in upper orbit with the keyboard and you move miles and miles, instead of inches. Not fun if you have an obj in front of you your trying to line up on.

I work with Alt-mouse movement. See Help -> Mouse and Key Settings. If you click on an object, it becomes the focus point by which movements are scaled and around which the camera orbits; the closer you get to the focus point the smaller the movements. For me it's a much faster, more natural way of moving around the 3D world.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.