A Beautiful Day - Version 2

Started by FrankB, January 10, 2010, 07:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Quote from: Matt on January 17, 2010, 12:17:40 PM
Quote from: Mandrake on January 17, 2010, 07:00:57 AM
Quote from: FrankB on January 15, 2010, 02:09:57 AM
Bob, you may not have noticed the five small bars directly under the navigation control circle. See picture. Directly below the circle are 5 bars, of which three are dark, 2 are light. Click on any of these bars to set the step size for the controls. To the left is small steps, to the right is bigger steps.

Good tip Frank, I never used this gizmo until I tried some orbit scenes. Try to move the camera in upper orbit with the keyboard and you move miles and miles, instead of inches. Not fun if you have an obj in front of you your trying to line up on.

I work with Alt-mouse movement. See Help -> Mouse and Key Settings. If you click on an object, it becomes the focus point by which movements are scaled and around which the camera orbits; the closer you get to the focus point the smaller the movements. For me it's a much faster, more natural way of moving around the 3D world.

Thanks Matt, after looking at Frank's second image I tried once again getting close to the ground (approx. one meter); and, it is difficult. I appreciate this tip.

Mandrake

Thanks Matt, that was driving me crazy till I started using the gizmo, now I can go back to the keyboard mouse.

Matt

You can also pick the focus/orbit point and orbit distance using the button that looks like a weapons target (or pressing Shift-F) and then picking a micropolyon in the 3D Preview. The actual orbit distance used may be smaller than that when you get close to the terrain however.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Mandrake

A bit easier Matt, but I still need to use the gizmo when getting a pov of an obj. in orbit.
The camera still wings way out. I changed the focal length a bit and that may be the reason why.