Object usage questions/observations

Started by tempaccount, January 11, 2010, 04:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

jaf, I can't find the thread where it was reported, but it has been fixed for the next update.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

tempaccount

I did a few renders with a mesh resolution of 600k faces, and it definitely solved all the other problems except the transparency issue which still baffles me. I changed the IoR to 1 in the water shader, and got a very "clear" result, so to speak :p

TheBlackHole

IoR 1 is equal to the IoR of air. You won't get any refraction out of it.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

tempaccount

Quote from: TheBlackHole on January 14, 2010, 10:38:13 PMIoR 1 is equal to the IoR of air. You won't get any refraction out of it.

Exactly. You see the transparency issue very clearly there. I guess it's just something to do with optimization and the water shader isn't really meant to be used in that kind of situation.

Oshyan

Quote from: tempaccount on January 15, 2010, 01:19:04 AM
Quote from: TheBlackHole on January 14, 2010, 10:38:13 PMIoR 1 is equal to the IoR of air. You won't get any refraction out of it.

Exactly. You see the transparency issue very clearly there. I guess it's just something to do with optimization and the water shader isn't really meant to be used in that kind of situation.
Likely that's true, but in that case upping detail to 4 or so should compensate.

- Oshyan

tempaccount

Quote from: Oshyan on January 15, 2010, 11:05:45 PMLikely that's true, but in that case upping detail to 4 or so should compensate.

- Oshyan

True! It takes bloody ages but seems to work.

Thanks for the answers! I think for my next test I'll scrap the UVs from my object and try some sort of texturing inside TG2 with powerfractals.

Matt

UVs aren't the problem. And if you decide to work without UVs, bear this in mind:

Quote from: Matt on January 13, 2010, 12:02:38 PM
There is a bug in 2.1.18.1 which requires objects to have UVs if they are ray traced. If you render without ray tracing, your objects do not need UVs.

Matt

tempaccount

Quote from: Matt on January 13, 2010, 12:02:38 PM
There is a bug in 2.1.18.1 which requires objects to have UVs if they are ray traced. If you render without ray tracing, your objects do not need UVs.

Ah. I misunderstood this quote I suppose. When I have a simple powerfractal as the surface shader supplying color, with ray trace objects the object appears uniformly colored. With ray trace objects off, the surface shader works properly. I thought this problem was caused by having UVs. When the bug gets fixed, does it fix this issue as well or should I look into texturing the object outside TG2?

Matt

The bug is caused by not having UVs. If you have UVs, it should work the same with both rendering modes.

The bug is fixed for future updates.

The intended behaviour is that if you don't have any UVs the object gets default UVW texture coordinates in world space. In the current build with the bug these defaults only work with the micropolygon rasteriser, and the UVWs are 0,0,0 everywhere with the ray tracer.