Asteroids

Started by rcallicotte, February 20, 2007, 09:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

See below where I've submitted the TGC and instructions, if you're interested. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Volker Harun

I would go for it, as I never ment out off the normal atmosphere, yet!  :) :D ;)

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

3DGuy

If you're going to create a ring one rock at a time you'll be quite busy. There's gazillions (technical term ;)) of rocks in a ring.

Volker Harun

rcallicotte

3DGuy, I created a pretty good section of the beginning of the ring, but it's only a small curve.  You're right.  The number of rocks (actually deformed small planets) is incredible.  When I upload the clip file, be prepared when you use it to see it fill up your node window.  I'll give some instructions/warnings when I upload it tonight.  I've tried to keep it neat and there are ways to affect randomness of size/shape/look that should keep the whole thing looking pretty real.

This could be fun.

Angealus

Count me in. I'll start on Sunday. Save as .tgc right? ;D

rcallicotte

I'll send it tonight under this subject as a TGC file.  Right.  And some instructions.

Quote from: Angealus on February 20, 2007, 02:14:15 PM
Count me in. I'll start on Sunday. Save as .tgc right? ;D

twistednoodle

I may be crazy but at least I'm not crazy!

rcallicotte

Okay.  Here it is.   ;D

Instructions -

If you only want the asteroid field (beginning of a ring), go into the Node Network and delete out everything in your Terrain and Shader containers.   Delete everything in your Object container, except the Background node.  Delete the atmosphere, if you wish.  Stretch out the Terrain, Shader, and Object containers like the first picture.

Insert the TGC file.  Fit everything in - the top row has the Terrain nodes, the second and third rows has the Shaders nodes, and underneath the Base Colours are all of the Object Nodes (planets).  You can control the sizes of the asteroids from the Terrain nodes as well as the Shader nodes, but it's easier to change the Terrain nodes to affect the whole structure.

I've included a Render Camera in the TGC file, which will leave your point of view just above the asteroids.  To use the camera, connect it to the Renderers and then you can delete the old Render Camera.  (see second picture)

Now, to figure out how to increase its size without copying over the top of everything...

RedSquare

Quotenever say I didn't give you anything

Hmm, a headache springs to mind  ;D

rcallicotte

Uh...yeah. 

My hope is someone comes up with a better idea to copy these nodes 50 times by programming or some other magic that I haven't been able to imagine.  Copying the nodes means copying the placement and...well, you get the idea.  LOL.  Headache, huh?

Anyone...anyone...anyone...

I'm a programmer (C#)...is it possible that we can do something with the nodes or the TGC file...Oshyan, Jo?

Quote from: RedSquare on February 20, 2007, 06:46:39 PM

MeltingIce

Quote from: calico on February 20, 2007, 06:58:55 PM
Uh...yeah. 

My hope is someone comes up with a better idea to copy these nodes 50 times by programming or some other magic that I haven't been able to imagine.  Copying the nodes means copying the placement and...well, you get the idea.  LOL.  Headache, huh?

Anyone...anyone...anyone...

I'm a programmer (C#)...is it possible that we can do something with the nodes or the TGC file...Oshyan, Jo?

Quote from: RedSquare on February 20, 2007, 06:46:39 PM

What about a population with its distribution node fed through an image map shader with frontal camera projection?  Maybe that could get part of it done.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

rcallicotte

MeltingIce...huh?   ???

Which population?  Are you saying start over from scratch?   :'(

The useful thing about the way I've done it here is the randomness as well as the size.  Have you zoomed into see the size of some of these asteroids?

MeltingIce

Quote from: calico on February 20, 2007, 07:28:30 PM
MeltingIce...huh?   ???

Which population?  Are you saying start over from scratch?   :'(

The useful thing about the way I've done it here is the randomness as well as the size.  Have you zoomed into see the size of some of these asteroids?
Well if you make a population of rocks (or spheres with power fractal displacement), you can randomize each instance of the rock to the point where you won't be able to see patterns or similarities using the "Unique variations" slider.  Just another way of doing it that only requires a couple of nodes instead of hundreds lol.  The only trick would be getting the placement correct.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277