New Shader Ideas

Started by CCC, January 16, 2010, 08:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC

What say you Planetside?

This should be feasible.

jo

Hi,

Try the new Simple Shape Shader as a base for hoodoos, pinnacles etc.

Regards,

Jo

CCC

OK, there is one idea. What of the other nutty ideas?    ;D

jo

I just had a quick look really, Matt can better comment on other ideas because he wrote then things they relate to.

I should also add that the Simple Shape Shader can also be used like your gradient shader suggestion. It has 3 different edge gradient options - smooth step, bevel (linear) and radiused. You can control the width of the gradient. It can be used in colour or displacement mode.

Something to allow you to edit gradients/curves will be available at some point in the future.

Regards,

Jo

CCC

Alrighty.   :)

Yes, after i investigated this shader further i came up on that. Rather nifty.

Cool.

Now if i want several pinnacles i was going to use the radial array but it only does things in rows. The idea is to have them randomly scattered.

BTW: A terrain edge profile editor would be nifty.

http://www.world-machine.com/tutorials/craters/hero_net4_standard.jpg

EoinArmstrong

Isn't that gone now from WM2, in favour of the Layout Generator - or am have I missed it completely in my stupidity? :)

I kinda miss it - it was a Q&D way to getting some interesting terrains

Matt

Hi CCC,

Here's what I wrote about the Alpine Fractal last time:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=7093.msg75722#msg75722

I see what you're saying about the branching shader. That's basically what the Alpine Fractal Shader already is, but it's not very easily applied to other situations, and it's missing those narrow channels. Maybe another branching shader should be written for different kinds of effects. The Alpine Fractal is missing some of the warping "jitter" effects you described, but the Warp Shader can be used to for those things. It brings up the question of how many of these common effects (e.g. warping by a noise) should be built into every shader, when they can be created using node networks that apply to any shader.

I'm not sure what you mean by the Gradient Slope Shader, but if it's just a radial gradient then I guess Jo's replies above should help. There is also the Distance Shader which produces a gradient around a specified position (by attaching a camera). I don't really understand what you had in mind for the erosion problem though.

When I read the words Gradient and Slope it reminded me of ideas that I have for a new shader to solve some of these problems. I would like to keep the details close to my chest though, at least for now.

Thanks for the ideas. I am sure they will influence the shaders I'm planning in future.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

CCC

Yes i do recall the pluggable alpine concepts now. It all still sounds nice.

I think another Branching Shader should be written because say you want to isolate those effects into a power fractal for example. Then you have more play into what faked erosive cuts can be created for that extra realism. Even more so say this new shader has a lot of nifty options for different types of cuts weather depicting hard water cuts, thermal weathering, large fan deposits and even faking rivers to some degree. It is still iterated to a certain degree but can be kept limited to certain size without having to worry over the smallest details and if a user wants smaller cuts, that can be applied and layered in with larger cuts if need be.

I can see warping working best for Alpine, Power Fractal and the proposed Branch Shader. Everything else could be using the other methods. What if you could also change the aspect of the channels in the Alpine Shader as well. Wider ones and very narrow one, longer ones and tapered variants. The proposed Branching Shader ideas could also be added to a Alpine Shader update beside making the entire thing pluggable.

For the Gradient Slope, say you have rigid peaks and want to smooth off everything to soft while still being true to the slopes but other shaders can be mixed in along with that one. The idea is to create smooth deposit flows that go out into larger sedimentary basins, talus build up, aluvial fans and so on.

The problem with the Simple Shape Shader is that it does not conform to other fractal noises so there is nothing i can do with it for smoother deposit slopes. The Distance Shader i would image having the same exact issue where nothing conforms around the slopes for each fractal noise.

The Simple Shape Shader is good for a single Hoodoo but i need hundreds of these guys clustered here and there but haven't a clue how that is possible.

Besides that i am hoping i am making sense of all of this. I might have to draw more in-depth illustrations to get a clearer picture of what i mean.

CCC

Quote from: EoinArmstrong on January 17, 2010, 07:53:19 AM
Isn't that gone now from WM2, in favour of the Layout Generator - or am have I missed it completely in my stupidity? :)

I kinda miss it - it was a Q&D way to getting some interesting terrains

I do not think the curve profile is gone in World Machine 2. I do not use the program anymore but i am certain it is still there. This kind of thing is still essential is one wants a single terrain but have plateaus, tall peaks and soft rolling hills in a basin. Something like this inside of Terragen would be great. Imagine taking one power fractal and designing not only peaks but large plateaus, mesas, foot hills and so on. Quick and effective.

EoinArmstrong

I can't find it in WM2 - I think it's because you have a wee bit more control by using the Layout generator, at the cost of speed of creation...

Tangled-Universe

You can find this function under "devices -> filters -> curves" if I'm correct.

CCC

Yes, it should be under curves. That sounds right.

EoinArmstrong

I literally just found it now without reading your posts.

What the heck is wrong with me?!

I need to eat more carrots and buy a new pair of glasses *blush*

Delighted we still have that function, though :D

CCC

Quote from: CCC on January 16, 2010, 09:57:33 PM

Now if i want several pinnacles i was going to use the radial array but it only does things in rows. The idea is to have them randomly scattered.

Any ideas because i can not figure this out.

Matt

Quote from: CCC on January 18, 2010, 10:13:38 PM
Quote from: CCC on January 16, 2010, 09:57:33 PM

Any ideas because i can not figure this out.

There's isn't a way to randomly scatter arbitrary shaders or noise bases yet, but we have talked about it. In the mean time, search for craters - I think someone figured out how to scatter round depressions using voronoi functions.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.