Torture

Started by EoinArmstrong, January 17, 2010, 05:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EoinArmstrong

Don't ask...

Detail .9, GI 2/4, Full AA (Max Samples), soft shadows on, WM terrain with added T2 displacement (possibly overdone).  Testing a rocky desert surface.

PS Post done (KPT Equalizer, diffuse glow, and a teeny bit of blur to offset the displacements and add realism).

TheBlackHole

Take out the atmosphere and add stars and a moon. Then it'll be a great dusty-rock-type-planet-thing scene. BTW, why is it called"Torture"?
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

typerextreme

I could be wrong but does the hill look like a corpse with hands extended out towards the camera....... idk that is what i'm seeing.....maybe i just have a warped mind.
Computer stats

Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
RAM: 2gb
Video Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family 358 MB
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46 Ghz

Henry Blewer

I must be just as twisted. Good work here, are you going to add some vegetation?
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Zairyn Arsyn

excellent lighting and surfacing!! me like :)
Quote from: TheBlackHole on January 17, 2010, 07:32:56 PM
Take out the atmosphere and add stars and a moon. Then it'll be a great dusty-rock-type-planet-thing scene. BTW, why is it called"Torture"?
maybe cos' it had a long render time, otherwise i dunno
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Tangled-Universe

Hi Eoin,

Very pleasant image, looks good!
I really like the terrain and though the displacements might be a little tad bit too much, I don't find it disturbing.
What was the softshadow-diameter? 3 or 5 degrees it seems? Probably took quite some time to render :)

If you don't mind I'm really interested in seeing the tmd of the WM2 terrain, would that be possible?
The erosion filter often generates spikes, which you don't seem to have, so that's why.

Cheers,
Martin

EoinArmstrong

I'll post it up when I get home.  You might have too much geo-time enhancement or too much persistency in your perlins.  You'll see there's nothing remarksable about it - it contains 90% of what's in my other terrains:

- 1 combination between 2 advanced perlins
- 1 displacement between that combination and a 3rd advanced perlin
- 1 Erosion, usually with geo-time enhancement, no filter

The only thing I output is the heightfield - I try to get Terragen to do as much of the surfacing as possible.

The features are usually quite large, so I get max detail albeit with a limited number of PoVs.

I won't be adding any vegetation to this pic :)

I can't exactly remember the shadow settings, but it was something like 9 diameter, 5 samples.  It only took 1hr 40m to render at 1600x1200.

Cheers,

Eoin.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Eoin, am looking forward to see the tmd, very interesting to learn about this, since I'm not that familiar to WM2 yet.

Why is too much geo-time enhancement or too much persistency causing these spikes? I always thought it had to do with rock hardness and sediment carry-amount in the erosion-node, because these basically "smooth" out parts of the terain.
My problem is that the eroded parts gives spikes. See what I mean?

If you don't mind I'd like to IM a little bit with you about his. Always nice to exchange WM/TG2 knowledge :)
You can find my e-mail in my profile, if you like.

Cheers,
Martin

EoinArmstrong

Well sediment carry has something to do with it yes :)

I can't IM you 'til I get home - I only have IM behind the firewall in work *sigh*... but I'll be in touch this evening, then

I have WM in work (hush-hush) - so if I get a chance I'll do up an example during lunch...

schmeerlap

Very nice; love the colours.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: EoinArmstrong on January 18, 2010, 05:29:28 AM
Well sediment carry has something to do with it yes :)

I can't IM you 'til I get home - I only have IM behind the firewall in work *sigh*... but I'll be in touch this evening, then

I have WM in work (hush-hush) - so if I get a chance I'll do up an example during lunch...

I guess my boss won't like it when I start TG'ing and WM'ing here :)
Nor can I IM at work, I guess, I'm in the GMT+1 timezone, so we'll see when we catch up.

Cheers,
Martin

EoinArmstrong

Here's a decent example...

Edit: I don't know why it's called 'Torture' - hence I asked you not to ask :p

Tangled-Universe

Thanks for putting it up here Eoin :)
I'll download it as soon as I'm back from work.

What I really like about this type of terrain are the steep non-eroded parts and also that the flatter areas have different heights.
I hope this is consistent when using smaller fractal-scales (when creating bigger terrains).

Cheers,
Martin

Oshyan

Beautiful terrain and nice simple texturing. What was your actual AA numerical setting? This still matters when you use "max samples" incidentally. And I wonder why you used it in this case, as terrain is one of the easier things to antialias generally speaking.

Btw for being behind a corporate firewall, if you have web access, have you tried Meebo for IM?

- Oshyan